Kit 904 Skyraider

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Kit 904 Skyraider

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Finishing up the wings on my Skyraider. Image
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:04 am

Sorry a bit off topic... Anyway i wanted to talk about plantraco ultra micro gear. I did build and flew the Miss America kit. In no wind conditions it flies very well. I am thinking about converting my peanut Skyraider to micro RC.

https://youtu.be/I-FPsfJwPfM
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Always liked their gear. Looks like it moves right along and is very forgiving. I would not be able to fly the 16" Guillows 190 like that, in a field that size. Pretty much needs the same size field that the 400 series does.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks Bill good advice about the flying field size. I am going to bring back my thread on Jets. I am once again working with Air Hogs kit. I have taken the electronics out of my Dominator model and replaced it with modern gear. I converted it to V Tail mixed rc. Unfortunately my transmitter's throttle control stopped working. I am going to have to wait for my new Orange transmitter to arrive from China. Anyway I am now convinced that putting motors and props on the wing is the way to go. I was stuck on EDFs for a long time.
[URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/w
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:11 am

I still have 2 motors and prop pusher setups from a one of those Air Hogs that I believe looked a bit like the F117. Hard to tell, as I found the remains about a year after a guy treed it at the park, about 70 feet in an evergreen tree, which my flying buddy and I happened to be there to witness, while flying. They actually cut down a few of those trees the following year, and I think that's what finally brought it down, as it was in the vicinity. The motors are still well mounted with 1 screw each. Tower Hobbies doesn't provide mounting screws for the little micro F86 replacement inrunner I used for a project recently, and the Air Hogs screws were a perfect fit. I test ran the motors and little props (probably about 2") with a 4.8v NiCd, and they seemed pretty powerful, still working after a year of being out in the weather. If you want it as a donation for your projects it's all yours. I'll probably never use them for anything, although the 2 screws did come in handy.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:45 am

Wow super good deal and thanks much Bill. I will I M message you. I have a small collection of the good Air Hogs models.i.e. A10 Warthog, Dominator, and F14 Tomcat. The motors from the Dominator are definitely the better motors. This is great timing for me. I am going to order the Guillow's F15 Eagle. I am going to put your Dominator motors on it. I am really thinking it will fly well.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm back to work on the reduced to 12 inch wing span Skyraider. It's just my opinion but I really think Guillow's should make a line of Peanut Scale models. I talked to Nick from microflierradio.com they have great timers and proper motor prop combinations for sale.Image
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:47 pm

I again was talking to Nick, on the phone, about timer ramp down times. Nick explained to me that indoor planes benefit from longer ramp times. Makes the landings more realistic. BTW Nick's website is http://microflierradio.com/

I think a better name for Electric Free Flight would be Electric Programed Flight. I remember as a kid a friend of mine having a toy space truck. He could program the truck to drive different patterns and the truck would do it. Not bad for the 70's. I remember Sterling Models having an Action Feature... bomb drops and stuff like that. These electric timers we have today are great.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:40 am

I don't know why, but sometimes really good ideas just don't catch on. Like powered FF. I know that there is a lot of Tradition in FF modeling, and that the majority of them desire to keep loyal to the Pure rules. I understand. The basic, simple, rudamentary rules of flight ,and a rubber motor. Easily makes it entirely up to the skill of the builder to get the best flights. but personally find that I like to use other power options. I was a big Fan of Co2 motors, but they are all but impossible to find.Electric motors and a small battery with a timer are a good idea I think for very small Planes like the ones Guillows makes that even adding 1 channel makes the weight a real problem. But anyways, if You do find any good alternatives, Post them. Thanks.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Interesting post David really got me thinking. My father built Guillow's models for display i.e. hang them from the ceiling. He was born in the 1930's. He was more interested in Lionel model trains. Anyway he did teach me how to build Guillow's for ceiling display.

When I was a teenager I ordered Don Ross's book. That's when I started my quest for the "Riddle of Rubber". Now if they had the technology i.e. Small Lipo batteries back in the 1930's. I'm sure my father would have been a Electric Free Flight Flyer.

During my teenage years they had liquid fuel RC planes. Way way too expensive. FF rubber power was the only affordable flying they had back than. As kids we dreamed of RC flying.

Now that I can afford and have learned how to fly 4 ch RC. I find that it does not meet my expectations. Don't get me wrong I enjoy flying RC. It just isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

Free Flight with rubber power? Well for scale models it is definitely a challenge. However, I feel that with the new electric Free Flight it makes flying fun. I know that RC is King of the Hill. It's just that I think electric Free Flight could really shake things up in this hobby.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:19 pm

I bet most Guys (few that remain) who enjoy building do not get super excited at piloting. I never heard anyone on here bragging about barrel rolls, split S's, and etc. And I did like your comment about You would be a ground Crew Guy. Me too. I flew a little Mooney a lot that I Man I worked with owned around late 1990's. Pre 9/11. And honestly. aside from a few hard landings on windy days. Not too eventful. I of course did no take off or landing, but was a natural according to Him at Flying on the instruments. I would keep it on course never looking at landmarks, and He would try to point them out to Me trying to show me how to judge the distance of the Airport for approach, but I did not like that and found the instruments easier. I do not and never did have great vision. On a clear day at 3500ft a runway 10miles away should be apparent to You, but I did not see it once til about 2 miles away. at about 1000ft alt. or less. I honestly rather someone else test Fly My stuff. It's OK fun, but I would not do this Hobby for that only. Thank God I was born before RTF and BNF ! Oh that reminds Me. I saw recently on a show about the X-1 that Chuck Yeager was an Aircraft Mechanic and Pilot in WW2. Rare I think as not many officers tuning wrenches that I ever heard of. I'd be interested on more facts about that part of His career. But supposedly He said that gave Him an advantage as a pilot. Understanding the machine He was flying.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Very interesting post David with good points. When I fly RC I do fly foamies. I do admire you Guillow's RC convertion guys. I like to read about covertions but I don't know if I want to try a convertion or not. I don't know if I have The Right Stuff.

I sent an email to Guillow's customer service today. I asked Guillow's about a Peanut Scale series from Guillow's. I remember that Guillow's passed out test build kits of the 500 series laser cut kits. I would be interested if they did make a Peanut Scale Series. IMHO I think the 900's fly better as Peanuts than they do as full sized models.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:40 am

I carved a windshield out of Balsa. Than I used my vacuum former to make a peanut sized clear windshield.
o

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:53 am

Looks like you're almost ready to go with this one. Always nice to make real, clear canopies. The vacuum former is one of those things still on the list. The heat pulled method has sufficed so far with, and always provide lots of excitement while setting the heat gun on the cement floor still running (no time to shut it off) then grabbing the other side of the heated plastic sheet, and then hurrying up and slamming it over the mold within 2 seconds. :D Took 2 tries to get a good one, from the mold I used this past week for a similar sized canopy.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:49 am

I find the same. The only Guillows Plane Kits I have made that Fly wall on Rubber Motors are the 900 series. Even the low wings. I made the T-28 Trojan and it flew OK even though it was on the heavy side. The Bird Dog being the best of them. For Me. Also the 600 series which is very similar in design characteristics. Though not all scale models.The 601 Cessna 180 would make for a very good first kit to try a RC conversion. Just do throttle and Rudder at first. These things are so light that throttle will give climb. as long as You don't turn too hard as there wont be any elevator to help you recover.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions