Kit 904 Skyraider

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Kit 904 Skyraider

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:00 pm

I thought about getting one of those, partly as it has actuator gear that can be used later for another project. Of course they have DSM2 actuator gear now, but still not cheap enough for me to "experiment" yet. I've pretty much reached the size limit of what can be done with 2 gram servos and related gear. As for these small models, while not scale, the undercambered wings are the way to go for flying. My small undercambered jobs will outfly the conventional aifoiled jobs on much less power, and are much easier to fly.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 pm

Mr. Widdog. I have many times tried to re-purpose ultra micro parts to Guillows Planes. I never had one successful adaptation. Even in their original light airframes the equipment is not reliable. Not due to cheap or inferior manufacturing, but due to the very nature of the materials needed to make the controls light they are prone to wear out quickly, and very fragile. As much as I enjoy a Challenge, I do not have endless resources or time to keep buying those little (but fun) Planes. I do hope that newer and more durable ultra micro stuff comes out, but if You do have any sucess at a 900 RC conversion please send Me a video to My email; because I would be Godsmacked by it and in awe of Your Genius. The 300 series is about the smallest I would try. They are (every year) always making lighter servos, Rx's, and etc. I would look at threads of Mr. Gaylords, and His videos. I would try the Bird Dog 900 personally. And go rudder and throttle only. Maybe not even throttle. Just get some altitude, and glide it around. What ever happened to CO2 setups? They were great in place of a rubber motor. Why they went out of production I do not understand. Best of luck.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Wow thanks much Bill and David for the very good posts. I will admit that you two are very knowledgeable about Guillow's RC conventions. Also I will admit that to date I have had no success at a RC conversion of any kind. I have just recently learned to fly 4 ch RC.

A couple of points I would like to make about the Hobby People's front yard flyers. They do look like a real airplane and they fly well.The main thing I noticed was the wiring and wire conectors. The components conectors actually work well.

I have a order in with Hobby King for micro gear that should conectors up well together. I think the wiring is the major draw back with micro gear. I could not find any video of a Micro Guillow's convertion. I did find this homemade micr https://youtu.be/sJTo-N8X-58o
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am

The print shop did a very good job with reducing the Skyraider plans down to a Peanut size model plan. I decided to build it FFF rubber power peanut Skyraider. I was going to try a RC convertion. I thought about it a lot but decided against it.

I did a Peanut 900 series T 28. It seemed to fly pretty well. https://youtu.be/P4zDNqiiiIQ
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:04 am

I started my build of my Peanut size Skyraider.

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:46 pm

If you ever get bored with the actuator Cub, the gear could always be used for one of these. Probably would be a good 3ch subject, with ample dihedral. The plan printing is about the only thing my flatbed printer/scanner is good for. Bought one just for that reason. Enlarging loses resolution, but reducing a bit works fine. Glad to hear the print shop did well. My first few experiences trying to get them to size properly got me onto printing them here. What's the reduced span of this build?
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:02 pm

I believe Peanut Scale is 17 1/2". Or maybe thats walnut scale; Not sure. I got an ancient Peck Poly peanut kit in My closet, but do not feel like digging it out to see. I think You are going to have to really lighten that thing up Widdog. But I am not an Xpert on FF. Mitch is who You need, or that Forum for FF Guys. I just know Peanut has nothing to do with scale, but wingspan.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:13 am

A Peanut model is a model with a 13 inch wing span. A Pistachio is 9 inch or less wing span. I think the 900 series kits fly great. I'm not a huge fan of the multi purpose kits. Weight is much more a problem with the multi purpose kits. Especially balancing clay at the nose. The 900's are specifically designed for rubber power. They have ample dihedral and wing loading.

I really take my hat off for you RC convertion modelers. I find RC convertions be pretty intense. As a kid I always wanted to stuff a Guillow's full of RC gear. Of course as a kid I could never afford RC gear. No kid could afford RC gear back than.

I have learned to fly 4 ch RC model aircraft. As far as RC goes I am presently working with FPV Wl Toys quadcopters. I always liked mixing photography with model airplanes.

As far as Guillow's and RC goes,. I am kind of confused. They used to carry a series of RC models but now they don't. I know that RC conversions are extremely popular. I thought rubber was making a comeback but I don't really know.
WIDDOG

Postby MMitch2782 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Enjoyed transforming a simple kit into a scale static build. As former Navy the Skyraider is special to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MMitch2782

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Wow great looking model Mitch. Thanks for posting. Could you please post it again somehow the photo got inverted.
WIDDOG

Postby MMitch2782 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:40 pm

How about this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MMitch2782

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:44 am

Definitely a great looking model even with inverted pic. Would make a great build thread if you did another 900 series kit. Maybe the T28.
WIDDOG

Postby dirk gently » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:47 am

I think you had the plans upside down when you were building it.
dirk gently

Postby MMitch2782 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:29 pm

I did a 504 Spitfire and posted it. I like the 1/30 size.
MMitch2782

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:50 pm

WIDDOG

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions