Pre New Age group build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Pre New Age group build

Postby NcGunny » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 am

I wanted to let everyone know or might have a interest. I have started a group build on Stick and Tissue site.
Everyone is welcome to join in. As of now we are looking at a Feb kick off for the event,and I have taken into account that some people cant plan build or might not be comfortable enough yet to try it out. If enough interest in non plan builders is shown I will try to get a group buy from a kit maker. So here are the No-No's for the build off.
1. Plans or kits must have been produced from 1935-1945, been available to the public in stores or magazine supplements.
2. No present day adhesives can be used...i.e...CA,epoxy,Glue Stixs, Titebonds etc
3. NO magnet building boards
4. Cutting tools must be time specific..razor blades, homemade Xacto etc.
5. NO LC kits!
6. No computer generated parts stickers.. Tracing paper or plan cut up is okay
7.Dope is still up in the air right now as well as paints.
So there its is.. Time to build your Favorite Guillow, Comet,Megow etc.. If you are interested join us for suggestions, we can even run a thread here for the Guillows builders simultaneously.
NcGunny

Re: Pre New Age group build

Postby Chris A. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Sounds like a nice idea and is related to the following. I have a question about old Guillows kits. I just finished a Guillows Hurricane kit from 1962. I'm curious about the age of the kit design as it was box and former, not keel construction and very light. The only plastic parts were the nose block that I changed to wood, and the tiny red plastic prop. The tail surfaces were very light construction, appeared scale and you had to make the canopy out of cellophane. The wing leading edge was a laminate to make 1/16 by 1/8. The airfoil was convex on both top and bottom. Too windy to fly, but it glided nicely with weight to replace the prop. I'm thinking the plan may date from the war years as the model is of a very early Hurricane that lacks the dorsal fin. The plan had all the parts printed in case you needed to make spares, so a duplicate plane woouldn't be that hard to cut out. However the original parts were partially die cut, you had to notch formers yourself which is ok by me. When did Guillows go to die cutting?

I'd actually like to do a Keil Kraft reproduction Globe Swift but that is a plane from the late 40's although designed during the war. Earl Stahl made a nice plan for it. Also Comet P51A that is not die cut.
Chris A.

Postby NcGunny » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:22 am

I have seen alot of people looking for Guillows production dates etc..I personally have never run across a single source of the history of kit productions with the company. I have not even seen it on their website which is very odd because at a selling stand point..You could say "Look how long we have been in business, look at what we have produced through the years" But obviously you would then get people calling wanting to know why you quit producing certain kits or asking if they will be produced again. So if you wanted to build a kit that was produced in say 1942 of a ME-109, obviously if you have a original in your possession most people wont build it. But the kit is still available in later years production,you can build the newer kit. Just try to stick with older parts like the cellophane windows,balsa wheels instead of the blow mold junk.
NcGunny

Postby Chris A. » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Regarding new v. old kits, I built the old kit knowing the plans had the parts printed so that I could make an accurate kit duplicate. I never build on the old plan, but have it copied, then return it to the box along with the duplicated parts. The original Hurricane plan, along with the original plastic and duplicated balsa parts was returned to the box with the original covering material and placed back on the shelf for reference and a later build. Although Guillows makes a Hurricane kit in the same size, my challenge was to build the box and former kit rather than the easier (and much heavier) keel and flat airfoil kit. There were no decals with the old kit, you had to make your own aircraft markings. Going back and duplicating a 1962 build will be fun, I still have single edge razor blades, but the Ambroid glue tube is just a display iten now. Cutting out and building the second box and former Hurricane the "old way" should be interesting and in keepping with your Pre New Age group build idea.
Chris A.

Postby David Lewis » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:40 pm

The plans have a copyright date, which would presumably be the first year of issue, and box art changed through the years, which will help you narrow down the manufacturing date range. Also decal sheets sometimes have the month or year of printing.
David Lewis

Postby NcGunny » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:07 pm

I have some original kits from late 30's and 40's stashed. Wood selection must have been horrid at that time due to WW2 raging along.I actually used some of the Ambroid from a kit,was just like the day it was made. Any of you guys/gals reading along that have stashed kits with decals...pull the decals out of the boxes and stash them away. Plastic bags and rubber will give you the varnished look after time. If you have yellowed decals...hang em in a window facing the sun for a few weeks. It will bleach it out. I narrowed my selection for the build down to full size Wakefield,Sunbeam,Miss Canada or Phantom.
NcGunny

Postby p40qmilj » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:55 pm

oh come on put some early comets in there. ww2 scale fighter rule!

jim :mrgreen:
p40qmilj

Postby NcGunny » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:11 am

No Comets on this build or Guillows for me. Looks like it will be the Wakefield Jumbo from Penn Valley Hobby. Actually this is who i have been telling everyone to get kits from. They are almost a 1 stop shop for this build. I could have had plans printed lically but since I am recommending them...figure I should put my dollars where my mouth is...lol
NcGunny

Postby p40qmilj » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 am

would do a joe ott kit. that would qualify

jim :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
p40qmilj

Postby p40qmilj » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:45 pm

am doing a quick build of al cleave's SWOOSE 1943. coming along sweetly may make concessions to modernity cause my propellers don't work!
p40qmilj

Postby p40qmilj » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:04 am

cloudsters meet SWOOSE. Full construction pics on STICK AND TISSUE Pre New Age Builds in COOK UPS

jim :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
p40qmilj

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:45 pm

I have an old Plan From Piper company. It's from an old magazine. I had it Blown up to original size. its 24" WS, and super detailed. The winner got a scholarship to some aerononic engineer school or whatever. It says Rubber Or power FF I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby NcGunny » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Received a few emails from RC guys and I had completely omitted them from the build. As of now RC builders are included in the build. Except...if you are not.using tissue,silk etc please only include the completed bones minus electronics, wiring etc. Just mock it up as good as you can. Rules still apply though . And T-pins are now allowed since they were around at the time..i just doubt most builder used em..lol. So I will be building a Senator and a Wakefield,both full size and both destined for Geneseo. We bent the rules to include one off construction of such things as Dethermalizers on large scale since adding later on is kinda fruitless. And one will have a Christmas scheme I came up with due to promising a Christmas plane.
NcGunny

Return to General Building Questions