Haivng problems with canopies

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Haivng problems with canopies

Postby joecrouse » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:30 am

Specifically on the Private planes in the 300 series. (the beachcraft Musketeer and the various Cessna incarnations)

I can not find a decent glue that bonds quickly strongly AND doesn't craze when applied to plastic. I tried lock-tite that didn't bond fast enough (infact didnt bond at all it seems) and the Testors Canopy glue works great on clear plastic at not crazing but it doesn't BOND plastic to wood real well.
joecrouse

Re: Haivng problems with canopies

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:39 am

** NOTE ** This is for the Beech Musketeer and Piper Cherokee windscreen **
Elmer's white glue..I mix it with water at around a 60-40% glue to water ratio..
Once your side windows are cut to fit the opening, fit them in and then use a fine paint brush to carefully apply the glue mixture around the edges. For the canopy - I split the windscreen in half along the center support rail - then drilled a small hole in the lower corners of each piece. Position the half section of the windscreen in place and pin it to the fuselage. Pull it tight toward the center rail and use full strength white glue on the center rail. I use trim tape to hold the windscreen in place while it dries and then go around the edges with the thinned white glue. Position the opposite half and repeat. Cut the trim tape at the top and bottom of the windscreen when dry...or carefully remove it and apply more full strength white glue - let dry - and then replace the trim tape to hide the seam along the center support rail.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:48 am

I have never had a problem with Elmers White glue on any a acetate to wood bond ever.
You do have to allow plenty of time and secure the piece in place while it dries.
I usually allow at least 12 hours (overnight) before removing any pins or low tack tape I might have used
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby joecrouse » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:53 pm

Tried white glue pops right off.
joecrouse

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Steve Blanchard

Postby strongeagle » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Ahoy Joe,

I use "Formula 560", made by Pacer.....the little bottle says it's the 'world's best canopy glue'....and I believe it. I've tried lots of stuff, but this is the best I've ever used. I put the windshield and side windows on a Guillows Cessna 180 yesterday evening and it's as solid as a rock this morning. The stuff gets tacky quick, dries clear and can be cleaned up with water, even when it's dried. (disclaimer....I don't work for Pacer). It's kinda a super white glue.

I got it at my local hobby store for a couple of bucks for a 2 oz bottle.

Apply the glue, pull the plastic tight, pin or tape it down and apply patience.....20 minutes should be enough. It can also fill gaps between the canopy and the wood, paper, etc.

Tom S.
strongeagle

Postby davidchoate » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:59 am

Canopy Glue seems to work for Me. If things start to get messy. Clean it up and do it over. A smeared window will make a otherwise pretty Model look Bad. I sometimes buy a different thickness, and even tinted to hide the insides, or just for looks. Midwest, they have a large assortment of thickness, and colors. I have sometimes started "training the curves as I am working on the other stuff.Tape it around something close to the curve You want.Rubber bands, and I've even pinned down a corner or two. Let it dry for days.Weeks if You can. Elmers works, but I have had mixed results. I hate to put a window over top op the outside pillars, panes, or whatever even though it says to. Ugly,and not scale. I have made heavy paper window "frames, and glued that over to hide it, and then sand, and maybe tissue to make it nicer. depending. Experiment. And please share any good methds You discover. There's more than one way to skin a Cat. So I've heard. Never desired to try. I'm kind of fond of Cats.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:41 pm

I line the inside seem of the canopy with a bead of hot glue from a hot glue gun. Than I use Elmer's glue on the seem to glue the canopy onto the model.
WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Most canopy glues are almost a Elmers. Sometimes the difficult blow mold canopies I use a 3M rubber cement which can be found in auto parts stores in small tubes,also family dollar has a decent cement in a white and grey tube (kinda runny though)I also have used 3M decal tape for the very poor fitting canopies.
NcGunny

Postby David Lewis » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:06 pm

May help to clean the inside of the plastic with dilute soapy water solution first. Also fine sandpaper to scuff the inside around the perimeter. Use the thinnest plastic you can without excessive oil-canning or waviness. You can attach a strip of tape or covering material at the bottom of the windshield to form a reveal molding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Lewis

Return to General Building Questions