learning and having fun

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

learning and having fun

Postby woundedbear » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:36 pm

I am working on 3 Guillows kits plus I have some plastic static display kits that I've started on. As for my Guillow's builds I don't have a camera, "but my computer takes good pictures", I don't know how to add photographs to my comments and postings. I am having fun learning about building Balsa wood airplanes though. I started out building a die cut 503 F6F Hellcat, and messed it up but I glued the tail and fitted the wing to it and decided to keep it around as a bare bones model. I never got around to adding the vacuumed formed parts, and I have been calling Guillow's about when the 500 series would be laser cut. Well last thursday I called to check and I got Susan to send me the new 503LC wood and she got it to me by Saturday. The laser cutting on these new 500 series is really good, the cut lines are as fine as a split hair. The parts are still the same but because of the laser cutting you get all of the parts on 3 and 1/2 sheets, and the wood quality is first rate. Of course somethings have come up with my health that have prevented me from starting the build. I did learn a lot from building the die cut frames though, # 1 don't try casehardening the wood with thin CA glue, it just make's it heavy. # 2 don't try making any dumb short cuts, like glueing the formers together on a nice flat surface. Then marking the center keel so you can slide the perfectly flat formers on the keel after they are dry. Seemed kike a good idea though :( ... I ordered another $154.60 worth of balsa wood from SIG and it should be here at the house in a day or two. 64 dollars of that order will be contest weight balsa sheet, also ordered some 4 oz. jars, they will be good for thinning the dope, "butyrate lacquer", 50/50 for air brushing. I don't know why I didn't think to order the extra jars when I placed my first order, "but I'm a learn'en", as I go. Twelve of the contest balsa wood sheets I ordered are 1/32 x 3 x 36 inches. By the time I get around to building the 1000 series P-47 I have in my kit stash, I'll have some nice 1/32 inch stock to skin it,"it's going to be my first Guillow's RC conversion. I'll be needing a lot of advice when I start that, so keep your socks up boys because I'm a'goen to be asking for a lot of help when I start that project ! Well I'm getten tired and my bed time medications are kicken in so good nite all, "lord willing and the creek don't rise", I'll be able to start on that F6F Hellcat tomorrow. Model on Dudes !
woundedbear

Re: learning and having fun

Postby tago » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:16 pm

wb, below is your comment about not being able to add pic's to your posts.

As for my Guillow's builds I don't have a camera, "but my computer takes good pictures", I don't know how to add photographs to my comments and postings.

Use your camera to get the picture you want & save it to your desktop or somewhere easily accessible.
Look at the bottom of the screen after you click on "Post Reply" and you'll see 2 tabs.
Click on the "Upload attachment" tab, click on " Choose File and navigate to where you've put your picture.
(You might want to re size it to 640X480... )
Just follow the directions and you'll see your picture/pictures on your post shortly after you upload.

This is also how you add pictures when starting a new thread or post.

G'luck,
tago
tago

Return to General Building Questions