Cardstock, plastic, and dope

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Cardstock, plastic, and dope

Postby Bluesynk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:23 pm

My corsair is almost ready for paint. Did all the rivet and line cardstock details, working on plastic. Have to make a few final tissue repairs from wire access. Then paint, almost.

Question is do you guys dope the cardstock and plastic bits? Im using cut elmers for dope.
Bluesynk

Re: Cardstock, plastic, and dope

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:01 pm

I have no experience with this, but I would recommend against using watered down elmers. I use Krylon acrylic sealant.
backyardbalsapilot

Re: Cardstock, plastic, and dope

Postby woundedbear » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:20 pm

I would not use model plane dope,"butyrate Lacquer", on the plastic parts without testing it on a small scrap piece first. The Thinner that is used in model airplane dope, or "Butyrate Lacquer as I like to call it", sounds better than."Dope", . Dope has a bad name here in the United States, that's just the way things are here now. But If you don't use a special primer over plastics to use Lacquer to finish it, or the solvents in the Lacquer will attack the plastics. Hope this helps, and good luck with your model...Remember it's a learning experience and just have fun with it. I started out with a less expensive Guillow's kit and learned a lot from it. At first I got caught up in trying to make the first build perfect. DON'T DO THAT ! Just build and learn, that's the fun of model building ! There's an old Scottish proverb, "experience is dear schooling and some will learn no other". Have fun, life is too short for the small stuff ! :D
woundedbear

Return to General Building Questions