New member, Help with static corsair flaps.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

New member, Help with static corsair flaps.

Postby Bluesynk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:58 am

I am now on my 3rd guillows giant scale plane. I did a p47 and p38. Now doing the corsair. Thought this would be a good one for static display with the folding wings and all the nice detail.

Anyway im having trouble figuring out the wires for the movable flaps. Made the wires no problem but cant figure out how they mount or what they do. Are they locks for up or down? The outer ones seem to hook over a spar for a good down angle inner for a good up with a little adjustment. But something dosent seem quite right.
Bluesynk

Re: New member, Help with static corsair flaps.

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Sorry I do not have a quick answer... I have the kit but misplaced the directions... Looking at other 1000 series plans. I only see plastic tabs for movable ailerons and flaps. Are you sure the wires are not for releasing the drop able bombs? Other kits in this series have that, but I do not do that extra work... still looking for my plans. Read over the Action plans and in some kits they have another 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of instructions for action details.

If you can not figure it out, maybe you can post a picture.

Mitch...still looking for my directions and plans... :oops:
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Okay...found my plans...and kudos to you for doing all this extra work...makes flying these models look easy...

I see there are pins that hold the flaps together. My best guess is these are there to make the flaps move together as the flaps in the 'gull' wing move they will separate a bit. I read the directions and I wish there was a bit more to that. Some models have another sheet of instructions to clarify these type of builds. The pins would be inserted inside the frame of the wing before covering and then would work as tie rods to work 3 flaps in unison.

I suppose the pin will move out of the way when you fold the wing if you do that... That is at least the theory...

I see these plans were drawn in 1971... Guillow used to answer questions if you wrote to them and sent in a box end...now they have this forum.

If this does not help I would write to Mark or maybe someone at Guillow's can answer...

Mitch...I only fly these models...all this detail work is way too much for me...good luck and hope you can post a picture of your masterpiece!
Mitch

Postby Bluesynk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:36 pm

The wires in the flaps do hold them together to work as one. That was easy. I did the retractable tail wheel. Rotating retractable gear, canopy, scale rudder, and folding wings. But the wires I am wondering about are perpendicular to the flaps. On the sheet n6 and n7. They go from the flaps to the wing. They exit the bottom of the wing.

Ill get some pictures up soon
Bluesynk

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:12 am

as I see it...

N6 will be installed though FF6 and go though MA4 and MA3 and will allow the flaps to extend and retract.

N7 seems more tricky. I think these are the keys that make this whole Chinese jigsaw puzzle work. I studied the full picture of the wing (top view)...then looked at the picture above It is just the center wing section with the flaps down... Looks like N7 is suppose to allow the flap to move and it will rotate and then be the stop as it rotates inside and will only rotate so far. So between the two pictures you can see how N7 is in a slightly different rotation. Below the wing picture is the wing (head on view) and they point to show how N7 looks with flaps up and flaps down.

That is the best I can determine... hope my comments help somewhat. Good Luck.

Mitch :?
Mitch

Postby Bluesynk » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Got these suckers figured out. They are stops to keep the flaps from being able to go up. They hook on the spars. They do not go through ma3&4 they go under. They are glued in permanent position on the flaps. They way they are bent they exit the bottom of the flaps, go under ma3&4, above and hook over the spar. No glue on wing side. There are cardstock covers for where the wire goes through the paper on the wing.

My problem was the plans show n7 embeded into the te. This put the other end on the back side of the wing spur, as the plans show. However done this way they do nothing but keep the flaps from going down until they fall out of the bottom of the wing. Moved forward the width of the spur they work the same as n6 do for the outer flaps. This may be an error on the plans.

Now that I got it figured ill work on some pics.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Bluesynk

Postby Bluesynk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:19 pm

Was still wrong. These n7 are not the same as n6. They are locks to hold it in flap down position.
Bluesynk

Return to General Building Questions