Fiction Flyers... The Batplane!

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Fiction Flyers... The Batplane!

Postby Mitch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi Guillow Builders...

...so who is your favorite Super Hero?

How about Batman... just some rich guy who can buy anything and fights crime...

In the last issue of FAC News there was an article about Fiction Flyers... so I think I need to make my own Batplane!

So looking around my house I found a P-40 in the shrink wrap:

I think it's time to build own Batplane... I am going back to sea and need a project... so tune in next week...same Bat time... same Bat channel...

Mitch
Mitch

Re: Fiction Flyers... The Batplane!

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 pm

I know it has not been a week... But I will be gone for 12 days so I thought I would give you a preview:

I decided to give my retired P-40 Flying Tiger a second life: (This plane was built over 2 years ago as per plans, except I moved the rear peg back). The plane was heavy and only flies for a few seconds in the local school yard.
This came apart in just a few minutes, the skin came off the wing faster than it took me to down load the pictures.

Here is the concept for the Batplane wing:
The port side wing would remove 5 ribs, the starboard wing would remove 6... I'll go with the Starboard side...

Refer to picture of Original:

Fuselage will have cockpit moved back:
I will try to keep the entire canopy intact so there will be room for a jump seat for Robin.

There will be some changes to the tail and also the engine intakes and exhausts. Rather than one air scoop on top I will have 2 air scoops that represent the ears of the bat.

The skeleton wing weighs 27 grams. I think I can improve on that...

Mitch
Mitch

Postby elkhart » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:39 am

Great project! Funny you would post this, just yesterday I was talking with my six year old about building a "Joker plane". I'm early in the planning stage right now, so looking forward to your build for ideas.
elkhart

Postby Mitch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Glad you enjoy... First off I what a very long nose like the old race cars with huge long engines in front...
I was looking for heads for Batman and Robin... Hope to get some cheap PEZ dispensers. Apparently there is an FAC event for Fiction Flyers. So my re conditioned P-40 will be Version 1. If it flies well I can build another from the new kit. I am still working out the tail shape. I will keep the P-40 tails for spare parts and make ALL new Rudder and Stab.

Here is what I did last night:
The canopy is soft enough to wrap to the new fuselage position... I will trim off the last window. Still room for Robin to sit behind the Hero.

I plan to replace the 3 stingers in the wing, since I broke some and I think I compromised there strength when I removed the rear parts of the wing ribs, also I will add a bamboo skewer in front of the TE, then scallop the TE more and add points for a dramatic Bat Wing!

Mitch...Always Building, Always Flying, Always Having FUN!

PS: I will add a "doughnut" front end adjuster under the plastic cowling so I have complete thrust control... Stay tuned for UPDATES... :D
Mitch

Postby ah2630 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:53 pm

I am pretty sure Lego has Batman and Robin figures, that may be an option for your pilots.
ah2630

Postby NcGunny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Lego heads are way to small. Just went thru the boys stash of blocks. I think the little action toys in WalMart will be close to scale. I think you could probably hacksaw them in the belly for half bodies. This will be fun to watch.
NcGunny

Postby p40qmilj » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:11 pm

mitch i did that a few years back. it is basically the xp-40 with scallopped T E''s. Go to theplanpage.com for xp - 40 profiles.

JIM :mrgreen:
p40qmilj

Postby Mitch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Well...I have the fuselage and wing modified. Also built a new horizontal and vertical stabilizer. I plan to make rudder and elevator separate so I can adjust those for flying. Also I am using 2 Guillow pilots for now...I will add some plastic putty to make my heros...Pictures next week.
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions