FW- 190 400 series

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: FW- 190 400 series

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:37 pm

I got photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:46 pm

davidchoate wrote:I finally got the wing and ailerons ready to cover. I used the torque tube type set-up. I used .047 wire, and as Mr. Parker said it seems a little "mushy", but the movement of the control surfaces seems sufficient. I dunno. I think I may not be ready for this type of Plane. I am not ready to get an accurate AUW to figure out the wing loading, sstall speed, and etc., but I know its going to have to go faster than the trainers I have flown. I will post some photos later.

I've used .047" wire on torque rod setups on the 400 Spitfire, 190, and a Sterling P26. They felt floppy, but in flight I would have never known the difference. All of them flew well. Often times there's quite a difference between the otoh comments we get on the forums, and actually testing in flight. I would imagine if I had people look at those models before flight, 9 out of 10 would have just said not a chance. The 10th would have been the person with relevant experience, knowing the small forces required for normal flight on models this size. Maybe precision aerobatics are a different story, but they fly just fine with the setup. Come to think of it, the torque rod setup installed in a GWS Corsair was not exactly rigid (had the gull bend incorporated in the linkage also) and was another good flyer.

One nice feature of torque rod setups is the ability to adjust differential effect, using a single servo.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:59 pm

I was researching a Do335 German twin engine Push/Pull plane I may build, and they had a film of the developement process that was very interesting. It showed them start with a scaled down Model , glide testing (like We do), and flight tests of the Prototype. And I agree about looks. If You saw My Fairchild thread You would think it looks horrible, but it is the most perfectly set-up Model I ever did Yet. Even got the washout perfect, and it was not easy. Easy to build, yes, but the controls, and setting angles, etc, and getting the warps out that happen after a few weeks was the hardest. I have found that a combinaTION OF SOLID, AND BUILT UP PARTS IS BEST. i AM GLAD i DABBLE A BIT WITH ALL KINDS OF DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS KITS, AS i FIND THAT SOME HAVE BETTER METHODS IN CERTAIN AREAS, AND i NOW USE THEM TO HELP ADAPT THESE gUILLOWS KITS To Fly electric RC. I,m covering it with Silk and Dope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 pm

I began to cover the wing. I am using a hybrid nylon/cotton material. it is difficult to work with but worth the effort. I can not believe how nice it is. And light, and strong.I will post photos later. I really like the way the 190 looks. I mean its lines, or lack of. It,s so smooth and round. I gotta think of a way to add wing fairings soon. I gotta go for scale likeness on a war bird.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:56 pm

I can not post My 190 pics so I will show a Do335. Finally ! That was awful posting those pics!
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Ok. I was able to see the posted pics earlier, now I can not, But I have got to the point where I can get a ballpark figure on My weight, and etc. I am not skilled enough to fly this. It is pretty much just like the full scale Fighter. I am bad at math and cannot figure out the exact wing area of a 1/16" scaled down plan. I figured around .7 sq/ft. It weighs a good 409 grams with 3 9 gram spektrum servos, a 4 channel HURC Rx, 11.1v 1300mah LiPo, 18 amp ESC, and a Eflite 370 4100kv inrunner in a 4:1 gearbox. I got a wing Loading of 20.8 oz. /sq. ft., and that gives Me a stall speed of 22.8mph. The Acrylic paint is wet, and it should lose few grams when it dries, but it just does not have the wing area. I have a Master Airscrew 7x5 3 blade prop as I would need a speed of around 55mph to cruise at it's best. Even if I put super micro stuff in it; It would not save Me that much. It is just the way it was designed. I guess I'll save it for a time when I learn to fly at that level. Unless anyone knows another way.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:32 am

I really enjoy reading your posts. Even though I have never built a successful Guillow's RC convertion. I find it very challenging and interesting to read about. I don't know how you guys do it. In order to get a multi purpose kits to fly with rubber power it needs to be built perfectly.
Anyway great work with the model and posts.
WIDDOG

Postby heywooood » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:39 pm

nice work, Dave - I agree about the beauty of the 190 series...Roy Grumman actually more or less copied the design when he created the Bearcat...its pretty obvious when one is parked next to the other.
of course, Grumman reinforced the Bearcat for carrier ops and just because they didn't call Grumman the Iron Works for nothing ..but he knew a killer fighter design when he saw one.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby davidchoate » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:20 am

I have installed the tail control rods, and there ius not much left as far as construction except the wing fairings, but I think I will set My Fw1980 aside for now until I am skilled enough as a Pilot to Fly Her, And as I think about different power options.Gas or nitro is being considered to solve My weight problem. Example: the 3 bladed prop idea. Being a belly lander, not a good idea to use a 3 bladed prop. I can Program An ESC to stop a 2 blade in the horizontal position. I have learned the value of patience, and will return to final assembly after more research.
davidchoate

Previous

Return to General Building Questions