FW- 190 400 series

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

FW- 190 400 series

Postby davidchoate » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:53 pm

I figured out My problem with the B2 and part AA. AA is meant to support a stringer for the inset exhaust, and must be set it to the inside edge, and not the outside. The Plan is a bit unclear on all the 3D drawings. I finished framing the fuselage. I never appreciated the awesome Power the 190 must have had until seeing the fuselage in real life. Its an Engine . A flying Engine. The lines of the 190 are so beautiful. I outlined over the wax paper a plan for modifying the wing to accept ailerons. But it is subject to change, but I have learned that it is good to start with a proper plan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Re: FW- 190 400 series

Postby davidchoate » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Oh, I have been using Elmers wood glue a lot more in construction. Espescially where sanding is required after. CA is as hard as Granite, and I was surprised just how strong wood glue is. And I am now doing laminating as well "surface area" and adhesives is where strength is.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:18 pm

I have the frame done. Ailerons built., and control surfaces hinged. Its at 60grams, or 1.9 oz. I did some modifacations to the wings. I will not be using landing gear. I will post photos soon.
davidchoate

Postby p40qmilj » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:58 pm

THAT'S ABOUT RIGHT FOR THE WEIGHT. I HAVE THIS KIT BUIT AND IT DOES FLY

JIM :mrgreen:
p40qmilj

Postby davidchoate » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:59 am

I'm undecided whether to use an individual servo on each aileron, or just one. they are eflite digital micro 3.5g. and i am using an Spektrum 2g micro Rx with stabilizaton. I have the capability to program the servos and whatever to each wing, or control surface, but I have naver done it before. Does any one know what the "BL" stands for on a motor. 370 BL for example? I got some photos. Oh, I wish I had starting using Elmers wood Glue sooner. It's worth the waiting to dry when sanding time comes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:01 am

I used a solid tail, but had to ad to the bottom.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:45 am

I used parts from DuBro micro aileron linkage. Still undecided on 1 7.5g, or 2 3.5g servos. It's at 99grams now even with the sheeting. and it was still damp when I weighed it. I'm happy with the weight so far. I'm covering with silkspan.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:48 am

Wing attachment. I'm waiting on nylon screws. Since the Hobby Town near Me closed I must order everything by mail.
davidchoate

Postby Bluesynk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Great plane. This is something I would like to do, but im just building display so far, just starting. Please show what gear you choose, I want to fly a guillows someday.
Bluesynk

Postby davidchoate » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:43 am

It's been 5yrs to learn to get one of these things to Fly, and only the 1/16 scale or larger are easily converted. I am now going to let it "settle" for a month or so and look for any warpage etc. , while this is happening, I will be figureing out the wing loading, adding weight of the power system and control system to figure out what type of motor/prop combo I need. I have only recently begun to understand the importance of this. I know now that most of My previous attempts failed because I was not using the right prop/ motor. Too much power is not always a good thing. David Lewis is a good Guy to ask for aerodynamic advice, and RD Groups Forum has some very good posts, and even calculation programs to find a power system that will give You the necessary performance. I would Like to make a FW190-D model someday. The modifications would not be hard, but I would enlarge the plans a little. I Love the D models Trike gear, and it's just one You dont see a lot of Scale Models of. Also notice that once the stringers are in nplace that I trim as much as I can out of the B formers. I would put laser cut dases on them so they could be trimmed easily once the stringers added integrity. If I was a designer of these kits.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:56 am

I am growing fond of the 400 series ad Rc converts. Or 1/16 scale. I want to do a twin motor Plane, and have hears that the C-47 is best suited to work. I have the B-25 kit, but its too small, and a lot of plastic,but If I enlarge the p;ans by 20% or so, it may be do able. I have become quite good at scratch building nacelles,cowls, and the like. It only took 5 years of failure too. Does any one still have no opinion as to one or two aileron servos? The reason I chose the old school set up is onw: it's gonna be a belly lander, and two: I think aileron linkage under the wing takes away scale appearance. Lastly. Does anyone know a good place to find Luftwaffe fighter insignia for different squadrons,and ho to get them in 1/16 size?
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:29 am

2g retracts? MPI makes micro retracts. I may try them at some point.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:04 am

I sheeted the fuselage. Fitted the parts. Removed My 3rd aileron design that looked better on paper than in practice. I just do not want to have aileron rods and horns under a Scale Plane i'm belly landing (if it flys) unless I run out of possibilities. I have been making nothing but Trainer Type Planes for a year because I am a VERY Novice Pilot. Still have not passed My flight test for the RC club. I forgot how cool a WW2 fighter looks, and how innovative the guys had to be then. Almost unbelievable.A bottle of enamel paint somehow got mixed in the Acrylic paint container,and lets just say the resulting finish was indescribable. I had to redo the better portion of it. Luckily I did not paint right on the wood, but applied a covering layer over it because I left the midle of the sides from cockpit rearward open, and doubled the 1/16" stringers there to take up the space. I wanted to keep the tail light. It looks better than I expected. Good paint brushes are worth the money.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:42 pm

I got bored watchin paint dry,and worked on a 40" Bird Dog between coats. I learned the benefits of laminating parts. "surface area and adhesives are made for each other. I was supposed to meet a Woman I have been dating, but I really got into this whole forming thing. I eventually turned off My Phone and stood Her up. She didn't stand a chance. That FW-190 was just born one of the sexiest things ever. Not even a P-51 in My opinion. You dont notice it until its in 3d. In front of You. Simple, Form Following Function,and creating beauty. But no Guns.
davidchoate

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:47 pm

David,

Nice job on the laminating. Just one question. Did you stand up the girl in the picture?

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Next

Return to General Building Questions