New to the hobby and forum, need some advice

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: New to the hobby and forum, need some advice

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:51 am

thanks much. This is definitely a very challenging hobby. An area where I disagree with the instructions is the nose block. i.e. Not gluing the thrust button. It is so much better to have a good removable nose block.

https://youtu.be/GXLwFcr9Q3M?list=PL92D387E9C009B143 I think if you watch this video closely you will see some great nose blocks.
WIDDOG

Postby zoomie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:10 pm

TimsCustoms1982 wrote:
where would you suggest I add the clay in the front? I didn't apply the nose cone to the spinner yet, so is that a viable option?

Most will want the free-wheeler device to function when the motor winds down and the glide phase begins. For that reason you don't want to put any weight inside the spinner as it could interfere with the prop shaft and plastic prop latch engaging/disengaging with each other. The Don Ross book that WIDDOG has suggested explains the workings of free-wheelers in detail.

BTW, I think the book is still available from Amazon. +1 what WIDDOG said about it, it has excellent info for beginners.

zoomie
zoomie

Postby Billy Mc » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Adding a little down thrust will also help stop the steep climb.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby joecrouse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:25 pm

For adding weight I build a box inside the nose of the plane UNDER the prop shaft I fill it with Lead Shot from my Pellet rifle or from a cut open 12 gauge shell.
joecrouse

Postby joecrouse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:26 pm

For adding weight I build a box inside the nose of the plane UNDER the prop shaft I fill it with Lead Shot from my Pellet rifle or from a cut open 12 gauge shell.
joecrouse

Previous

Return to General Building Questions