Guillows news..

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows news..

Postby NcGunny » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Just got off the phone..long story short: I couldnt get replacement wood for a 400 series BF 109 (wood is like rock oak)
As far as releasing Comet kits.. pour the letters and emails into Susan if anybody is interested.
Next month the 500 series will all be released as LC. So if you want die crunch kits,its until supplies last.
Seems to be shady sellers attaching stickers to old die crunch kits and selling them as LC (know your box art)
B-29 enthusiasts..Still S.O.L. but from the sounds maybe the future might be brighter for yall.
I guess everyone is up a creek now if you are hoarding kits with a bad sheet of wood or 2, cuz you wont get a replacement
now. Might be a good time for a faq on scanning and making adhesive templates.
NcGunny

Re: Guillows news..

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:24 am

Any word on when the 1000 series or 2000 P-38 will be LC? Not that I need any soon, just wondering.

Mitch

PS: I just got home and need to finish my fleet before I leave for AZ for WESTFAC V...In about 1 month!!!
Mitch

Postby NcGunny » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:26 pm

I didnt specifically here anything on them. She just said that at the end of the month all kits will be laser cut with the 500 series being complete and they werent die crunching anymore. (Read into what you will) I dont know how much the 1k and 2k kits amount to in total sales but it would be ashame if they drop em. I want another B29 kit but refuse to pay that price like the last time. I know she said there is hope for it,but the way it sounded was like the kit used to much wood so thats why maybe it had been dropped. Idk..their whole business is built around wood..
NcGunny

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Okay... I know the 500 are the best selling for them and they need to make money. I do not usually build that small and was hoping the 1000 series would be laser cut someday. I have all the 1000 series. I understand they must be under pressure to produce a kit that people will buy. I would hope that they will laser cut them someday.

I suppose I will just build more of the 400 series. I got off the ship today and got to my house just an hour ago. Tonight is a dance party at the studio... Tomorrow I will start to inspect and start working/finishing my armada for WestFAC V...

I had hoped to have more planes ready, but I will need to put my Desert Me109 back in service. I will go to my Hobby Shop to let him know I need the model as I need to put her back into Combat Service. I will give him another Me109 and a Spitfire that have flown at my local Schoolyard but are not competitive.

This is the year of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby NcGunny » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:36 am

I ran across some plans for Guillows discontinued planes, I didnt realize they had made Jetco and Scifi stuff also. I downloaded a plan for a 27" WS Sopwith,not sure what series it had been in. But I saw a ton of old.stuff that I would definately buy them today if they were offered. I still think some of these later discontinued kits would sell even if just printed on wood.
NcGunny

Postby woundedbear » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

Hello NcGunny I sure hope you'er right about the 500 series being laser cut. I have a grand nephew that I want to get started in this hobby, and the 500 series would be the best way to get a boy in the second grade started. I think enlarging a 500 series would work out better than enlarging a more complex 400 series kits, as well. I was beginning to think that I would never see any more of Guillow's kits becoming laser cut. Thanks for the great news !
woundedbear

Postby woundedbear » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

Hello NcGunny I sure hope you'er right about the 500 series being laser cut. I have a grand nephew that I want to get started in this hobby, and the 500 series would be the best way to get a boy in the second grade started. I think enlarging a 500 series would work out better than enlarging a more complex 400 series kits, as well. I was beginning to think that I would never see any more of Guillow's kits becoming laser cut. Thanks for the great news !
woundedbear

Postby NcGunny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:14 am

Your welcome Wounded! I am betting you might have to order 500 series at least for a little while through Guillows if you dont have a local shop for the LC kits. Retailers will try to cycle thru the die crunch first to get rid of stock. I am trying to find someone that can make me molds of my B29 plastic. Save my original Ebay kit and scratch build one for display. B29 plastic is like its weight in gold it seems. I bet a whole B29 plastic kit cost Guillows around $2.00 to produce MAX.
NcGunny

Postby SteveM » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Mitch wrote:Any word on when the 1000 series or 2000 P-38 will be LC?

I did the test build for the LC P-38 about 1.5-2 years ago so it is certainly something on their long range plans should they decide to go forward with it.
SteveM

Postby NcGunny » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:06 am

I am betting the 1k and 2k will remain die crunch kits. I cant believe that their sales contribute hardly anything.compared to smaller sizes. I bet someone looking at a P38 cost eventually realizes that the price of that 1 plane he could buy 6 of the 500 series for same cost.
NcGunny

Postby p40qmilj » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:20 am

:mrgreen: yeah guillows should do two things.
1 make/ extend keel parts to replace plastic nose if desired
2 bump size of kit to 20 to 24 inch wing span. this i have found i the perfect size and weight to build this model series.

jim :mrgreen:
p40qmilj

Postby m1fan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:39 pm

NcGunny wrote:Just got off the phone..long story short: I couldnt get replacement wood for a 400 series BF 109 (wood is like rock oak)
As far as releasing Comet kits.. pour the letters and emails into Susan if anybody is interested.
Next month the 500 series will all be released as LC. So if you want die crunch kits,its until supplies last.
Seems to be shady sellers attaching stickers to old die crunch kits and selling them as LC (know your box art)
B-29 enthusiasts..Still S.O.L. but from the sounds maybe the future might be brighter for yall.
I guess everyone is up a creek now if you are hoarding kits with a bad sheet of wood or 2, cuz you wont get a replacement
now. Might be a good time for a faq on scanning and making adhesive templates.

NCGunny,

The only thing that wasn't clearly explained was the whole thing about Comet kits.......Is Guillows going to start producing old Comet kits? If that is true, I will have to become one of their better customers!!! I really did like the Comet kits and was sorry to see production cease. Thanks for the information.

m1fan
m1fan

Postby p40qmilj » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:22 am

I just sent an email to them supporting a laser cut Comet cut. Since most plans are on the internet now they can access them

cometkits are not that hard toproduce espeially sine most have pw with them

jim :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
p40qmilj

Postby p40qmilj » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:00 pm

:evil: just heard from susan. not happening jimmy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jim :mrgreen:
p40qmilj

Re: Guillows news..lazer cut 500 wood kit

Postby woundedbear » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:35 am

I working on a new 500 series kit, the kit was an old one with die cut sheets. I messed up the frames and am keeping what I built from it mistakes and all. Saved all other kit parts, ordered replacement laser cut sheets. Got them 2 days later, Susan really ships fast ! Thanks Susan ! These are the cleanest Laser Cut sheets I seen in a Guillow's kit so far, simply perfection. Going to order a 501 P-40 asap, Let the good times roll Guillow's !
woundedbear

Next

Return to General Building Questions