How to use old water slide decals

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

How to use old water slide decals

Postby NcGunny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:30 am

Meant to post something awhile ago on this for guys and gals that are having problems with water slides from old kits. This is a old not so known trick on bringing em back to life. First off...If the white is yellowed try putting your sheet of decals in a window that the sun beats into for a day or two. Often it will clear them up.
Second..if your unlucky enough to have a sheet that the decals are cracked but whole,scan em into a paint program and clean em up and reprint. (Thats a entirely different faq though)
Third.. If they are just plain old and look like they will be tough to release..hit.em.with a can of Polyurethane clear coat.(gloss) Allow to completely dry! Apply as normal. There is a manufacturer that made the decal paper that nothing works on,the backside will be either checkered or a aquamarine color. Sometimes I can get these to release with warm water and a bit.of vinegar in it..but I have to set them with lighter fluid (zippo).
I only use a Rustoleum Poly spray,I am sure others will work but never tried them. This.kinda cuts into decal sellers sales,but it might save ya a long term headache.
NcGunny

Re: How to use old water slide decals

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks. You were very much help. I have used MonoKote trim sheets that are stamped cut with letters and numbers of all sizes and colors. They are perfect for Military stuff. They use that font style, but look good on scale private planes as well. I also may use decals from a different model kit available to order. The water decals are much better on small models,I think, Than the heavy Stickers like Dumas has.Mitch a while ago had a good post on how to make custom Decals.
davidchoate

Re: How to use old water slide decals

Postby NcGunny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks Dave. I never use the sticker type of decals myself. I can scan them and print out a new sheet on water slides. I realize most people dont own Alps style printers but it can still be done on a regular inkjet if you hand paint some of the colors. Even today alot of.modellers from Germany cant get anything with a swastika on it due to their Hatred Law, so they have to resort to printing their own or having someone snail mail them sets and hope the.censer police do not take em.
NcGunny

Return to General Building Questions