using a flight stabilizer (gyro)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

using a flight stabilizer (gyro)

Postby woundedbear » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Hello everyone, Has anybody tried using one of these flight stabilizers (gyros) to help with windy conditions ? I live near the Uwharrie National Forest and even during the dog days of summer there is always a breeze, "if not a real strong gust", blowing all of the time. Some of these things (gyros and such) are quite expensive other's not very costly at all. Some have 3 axis others 6 axis, some are even built into a receiver of 4, 6, and even 8 channels. I've only been aware of "flight stabilizers" for a short time. My curiosity is up and I am also wondering how do these things work ? If anybody could give me tip as to where on the internet I can learn about these things it would be greatly appreciated.
woundedbear

Re: using a flight stabilizer (gyro)

Postby davidchoate » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Horizon Hobby makes a lot of affordable micros, and use Spektrum Rx. Go to the Spektrum site for info on them. I find they do work, but the very light 100g or less espescially, are going to be uncontrollable in wind, but will be ok in the breezes that would make them not a good time. Or a very short good time. The best one I like is the AR6335. You will be able to use sub micro digital servos even. and I got one for $60 last yr., and they get cheaper all the time. The "open receivers with ESC called "bricks" a lot are good,but not reliable for very very light no wind planes. I got so tired of waiting for windless days that I had to start making larger Planes.
davidchoate

Postby David Lewis » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:58 pm

I have found no scheme, trick, device or work-around that renders model airplanes better able to handle wind. Dead calm is ideal flying weather for models (other than slope soarers). As the size of the model and the wing loading goes up, however, they do become more immune to wind. A symmetrical or semi-symmetrical airfoil may help too. Gyros don't seem to help.

The CIA experienced the same problem. They developed a 6" span R/C ornithopter with a microphone. It worked pretty well unless there was anything more than a slight breeze. They finally threw in the towel and mounted a servo on the back of a flower beetle connected to his wings. No matter how strong the wind, the bug (no pun intended) flew just fine. And could go several days on a few drops of nectar.
David Lewis

Postby woundedbear » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Hello Mr. Lewis the thing you wrote about was very interesting.
woundedbear

Postby davidchoate » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:18 pm

I know the Gyro developement came to fixed wing from helicopters, ACRO's or whatever. They have like 5 or 6 in them I think. Otherwise You would have to be a NASA TeST PILOT to fly one, or a mutant freak. I was wondering how a 2 year old was getting the hang of flying a Heli and I'm still struggling to make a plane that I enjoy flying. I like to figure out stuff on My own. Anybody who can read can assemble parts in a box,but to take a basic plan, or starting design, and change or adjust things to adapt to the needs of the vehicle is what I find enjoyable.And Airplanes are just plain Cool.
davidchoate

Postby woundedbear » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:09 am

I agree with you davidchoate I have a passion for building, and hope to design my own airplane, but first I have to build more kits my stach of Guillow's kits has grown to include 3 400 series kits one 300 series kit 2 2000 series P-38's one 1000 series P-47, and now 1 500 series with another on the way. I am working on more than one plane at the time. So far i've started my Piper Cub, 1 of my two P-51s ,"I am modifing the P-51 to have a Laminuar flow wing, using an extra set of wing ribs, and some nice contest balsa wood I bought from SIG", I am wraping up a laser cut F6F Hellcat in the 500 series and am buying a 500 series P-40. I am going to add the De Haviland Biver kit soon and want to build every one of the 400 series laser cut kits. Then there's the 200 series kits I have not gotten a singel one so far. I hope that all of Guillow's current kits will be avalible in laser cut within my lifetime. Then I want to see Guillows make a De Havilland Hornet/ Sea Hornet in the 1/16th scale. Ever since I became aware on the old Dh. 103 Hornets I have became obsessed with that airplane, I would also like to see a laser cut Spitfire Mk. 22/ 24 in 1/16th scale. And just for fun I would like to have a Howerd Huew's airplane to build he was working on a high altitude recon airplane when he had that bad crash, it was a P-38 like design but bigger. Well I'm feeling tired now so I'll sign off for now I'm getting tired. To all of my friends here on the Guillow's forum I hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving and a great holliday season ! The wounded bear, ;{)>
woundedbear

Return to General Building Questions