Planes that defy flying..(by looks)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Planes that defy flying..(by looks)

Postby NcGunny » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 am

Just finished a Airfix kit of my nomination. Like most older Airfix kits..it was disgusting.Flashing,seams,pin holes,even the windows were wrong. This plane just screams.."I should never leave the ground"!! So for my nomination I have selected the monstrousity called...Hadley Page H.P. 42
http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/englan ... _hp-42.jpg
Somehow a whole paragraph never made it into the post so I had to edit it..
Running a thread on planes in your opinion that just look like a flying disaster waiting to happen.Doesnt mean they were statistically a bad plane..can be by looks also. Another I thought of was a WWI German bomber..cant think of the name atm..looked like a flying bathtub with wings.
NcGunny

Re: Planes that defy flying..(by looks)

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:42 pm

While the HP.42 was slow, (It was reputed to have built in head winds.) It was easy to fly, loved by its pilots and one of the most reliable airliners of that period. A number of very interesting models of it have been built ranging from ultra-small R/C electric foamies through stick and tissue rubber powered (Really!) to giant scale RC jobs and they all seem to fly well. (Also, I've seen some gorgeous and well flying models of HP bomber of the period, the Heyford.) Some of the most unlikely looking aircraft make some verrry interresting models!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kittyfritters

Postby NcGunny » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:17 pm

The German bomber was the Gotha G IV I was thinking of. The thread isnt meant to beat up any one type of plane like I mentioned,its meant to bring attention to appalling looking planes.
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Wow interesting stuff. I am going to be building a Bf 110. I would like to build a scale kit first. I understand that Guillow's does not make any Bf 110 kits. So not only will it be a Scratch built kit it will also be a home design kit.

WIDDOG

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:04 pm

NcGunny wrote:The German bomber was the Gotha G IV I was thinking of. The thread isnt meant to beat up any one type of plane like I mentioned,its meant to bring attention to appalling looking planes.

OK. Here's a 3-view and a color scheme...Have fun! :lol:

Howard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kittyfritters

Postby NcGunny » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:56 am

WIDDOG wrote:Wow interesting stuff. I am going to be building a Bf 110. I would like to build a scale kit first. I understand that Guillow's does not make any Bf 110 kits. So not only will it be a Scratch built kit it will also be a home design kit.

Most of the Bf stuff I found was huge Widd..70+ inch WS,and extremely expensive. The only reasonable kit I found was from flairmodels in the U.K...in styrene everybody makes em. Revell,Airfix,Eduards etc. Lotsa plans for them also but looks like most need scaled down. I bet the Bf is as tough a build as the Me-262 I have in WIP.
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks much NcGunny. I have seen the kits you mentioned on Ebay. I will now buy one and us as a guide.
WIDDOG

Postby sandman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:18 pm

The Wright brothers plane flew and it was a canard. The pilot even had to lay on their stomach to fly it. Guillows sells a display kit that some have done a good job on.
sandman

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:18 pm

kittyfritters wrote:While the HP.42 was slow, (It was reputed to have built in head winds.) It was easy to fly, loved by its pilots and one of the most reliable airliners of that period. A number of very interesting models of it have been built ranging from ultra-small R/C electric foamies through stick and tissue rubber powered (Really!) to giant scale RC jobs and they all seem to fly well. (Also, I've seen some gorgeous and well flying models of HP bomber of the period, the Heyford.) Some of the most unlikely looking aircraft make some verrry interresting models!

Always loved that subject as a potential r/c build. Outerzone posted a plan by Harold Towner a while back also, who was one of the greats IMO. http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4303

I've been surprised by a few build subjects. The Miles Aerovan turned out to be a fine, no frills flyer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTAuLG37PKw
Bill Gaylord

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:36 pm

The 1930s, Buck Rodgers style space ship model is about 20 years old. The design was published in a model magazine in the 1950s. The junior version was scaled down from the original plans this year. It doesn't look like it can fly, but when you first see how well one of these things flies you will be amazed.
kittyfritters

Return to General Building Questions