Guillow vs. Dumas

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Guillow vs. Dumas

Postby davidchoate » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:10 pm

My Dumas RC Aeronca conversion. I obviously did something wrong. It did fly, but was uncontrollable
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby Chris A. » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:21 am

Although Guillows doesn't make the kit, I've been collecting both plans and kits for the Globe Swift GC-1B from Cleveland (IT plans only), Earl Stahl(plans only) Comet, Keil Craft through Repli-kits in England, and Dave Diels as a short kit and comparing the plans. The plans vary a great deal and it is interesting to see some of the choices that manufacturers made. The heaviest design is the Comet which has a part built up and part sheet horizontal stabilizer. The Earl Stahl plan is close to scale except the horizontal stab is larger than scale for good flying. I'm looking forward to building the Diels Swift (which is a Comet update) with all built up tail and then look to Don Ross's book for prop and rubber information. I've learned the the hard way on other builds that careful covering, good balance and warp free construction makes trimming a whole lot easier. Although Guillows doesn't make a Swift kit, they now own Comet so I guess it is in the famly. My best work has been with Guillows followed by Comet and Diels, but Diels are contest design and a bit of a challenge.To see advanced design work I have a plan for a Tom Arnold design He 219 B-2 that requires a carbon fiber reinforced main spar that would be a huge build challenge. Build what you like and your skills will keep getting better.
Chris A.

Postby NcGunny » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:08 pm

davidchoate wrote:My Dumas RC Aeronca conversion. I obviously did something wrong. It did fly, but was uncontrollable

I had a Sopwith once that looked like that..but as I was landing a crosswind hit and it cartwheeled in to a stop. Lol..you watch it happen,try to shrug it off..but sometimes a tear forms..lol
NcGunny

Previous

Return to General Building Questions