Kit stash uncovered

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit stash uncovered

Postby NcGunny » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:08 am

Craiglist ad...(something like this) $20.00 for 5 planes-- Boxes look older,not moldy,not for kids. First $20.00 takes all.
Emailed the guy,jumped in the truck,got a warning for speeding on my way there, arrived.
Curtis Robin,Nieuport II,Chipmunk,B-17 G, Rumpler C5. Looks like the B 17 is the newest prolly mid 70's manufacture.
Guess some of the old stuff is still out there.
NcGunny

Re: Kit stash uncovered

Postby Coloradoken » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Lucky dog! Expect any differences from building newer kits?
Coloradoken

Postby NcGunny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:11 am

Probably not. I dont really buy LC kits and it really wouldnt bother me if everything was like Comet kits. Truthfully I did offer the seller more money,but he turned it down. Chances are they will end up in my old kit deco wall and will remain unbuilt.
NcGunny

Postby David Lewis » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm happy for you. If it's of interest to you, there might be a code on the decal sheet that will tell you approximately what year the kit was manufactured. If not, the box design also gives clues, or enclosed promo literature, as it changed through the years. Some inexperienced sellers go by the copyright date on the plans, which (of course) does not change.
David Lewis

Postby NcGunny » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:34 am

I had a typo error. The B17 was the only non Guillows its a Sterling. So from what I can decipher on the kits..Curtis Robin is a 1965, Nieuport II is a 1958, Chipmunk is a 1949, Rumpler is a 1964, and B17G is from mid 60's. All pics I found of that box design says 63-66 ish.
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:35 am

In my humble opinion it is much better to have a kit that is still in production vs. a kit that is out of production. I always get a sense of stewardship and become more of a care taker of the out of production kits. I have a Joe Ott kit that is very old. I scanned the plans and added them to Hippockets gallery. It cost me a bit to have that done. At least the plans are saved this way. Also I have to now store the the old kit and really what for. With a in production kit no fuss no muss.
WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:15 pm

I collect old kits and display them on a wall in my room. Actually I have very few old balsa kits on display,most being styrene kits from the 60's and 70's. If I can score duplicates or triples and will build em up or use for trading. Sometimes guys will buy a kit and the slixxs are gone. I can email.em a scan of mine and they can print them out. Some kits I have were stored in a attic so long that no amount of coaxing will ever straighten up the plastic,but the box is decent and it.makes a good display.
NcGunny

Return to General Building Questions