Wid's Guillow's Cessna 150 second try.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Wid's Guillow's Cessna 150 second try.

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:17 pm

I assembled the model. I will test fly tomorrow. If I can get this prototype to fly I will build another better looking one.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Looks good. The cowl mount's a good idea, along with probably needing the ballast anyway.
Bill Gaylord

Postby David Lewis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:43 pm

I think the windshield glues onto the top of the root ribs. It does help to make a paper windshield template first to verify correct fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David Lewis on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Lewis

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks David I see what your saying. The weather did permit me to do some trim flying today. Yes the model did well enough that I will be doing a third build soon. I used a 8 inch prop and the model did ok. I also did the math and the math seems to say 9.6 inch prop. I will try a 9.5 prop the next chance I get. I used to do trim video's but I no longer do. Hopefully I will get a good flight video.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:48 am

The 9.5 inch prop seems to be working better. I had to add some nose clay to the model. I think it's trimmed enough to try a 1.5 inch x the rear peg to propeller hook rubber motor. The model got soaking wet in the morning dew. I will have to wait for the model to dry out. It may be possible to get some video today depending on if I can get the model to fly or not.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:40 am

I know I said I was not going to video trim flights. I did make a exception. Anyway here is the video. I only had 500 winds in it and was not expecting it to go so far to the tree line. Long story short the model got stuck high in the tree. I through sticks at it. I was able to get the model out of the tree. However, The model re kitted itself.
https://youtu.be/5PgWDKSatuw.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:31 am

Well I decided to try the Cessna again. I hope to keep the big topic board moving. I had reduced the plans to a 17 inch wing span. I will be building form those plans. I have some video of my first 17 " WS Cessna. I decided to make a nose cowling out of Balsa this time.

https://youtu.be/-YxHGtp470E
WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 am

I kept waiting to hear the cussing start when it went in the tree..lol. I did a livingroom mini stick a few days ago and on her maiden flight i remembered to late I forgot to turn the ceiling fan off. You do have good vids Wid, right to the point. You ever thought of doing some short build vids?
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:09 pm

LoL... Your posts NcGunny are the best! Wow living room mini stick too cool. I enjoy photography and mixing it with modeling. I have been working more on flying than my model's appearances. I have been reading up on making better looking models. I will put more effort into this build. Long story short I need more practice before I would make a Build Video.
WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:43 pm

Lol!! It was disgusting Wid. I had 10 hours into that lil stick plane. Weighing and sanding,,only thing that survived were my yogurt cup prop blades. I was thinking along the lines of a.build vid of getting the planes bones all together. Little 5 min clips..hint..hint or even a Ustream channel.
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:42 pm

My bad, I stand corrected. What I really meant was way cool plane. I would really like to see a pic. Especially the prop.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:36 pm

This is the Cessna 150 reduced to 17 " WS.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:36 pm

As I mentioned before I like both photography and model airplanes and putting the two together. I'm trying to work on making better build topics.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Making good progress on the Cessna. I give kudos to Guillow's. Their instruction sheets are the best. It makes enlarging or reducing the model very easily. Don't get me wrong I consider myself a "Good" customer I buy Guillow's when I can.

WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:21 am

Looking good Wid! Looks like you use the same template label paper i do. I want to try the wax paper method sometime,I hate peeling off that paper on the fuse pieces,always afraid the notch pieces will break off.You know,I might beat up on Guillows sometimes just because I think they can do better,and the bucks I spend on their kits..it's my right too..lol You should build one of those Cessna's and turn it into a float or big tundra tires on it. What are you using for your windscreens? I usually cut.up fruit container or sometimes I can get part of a plastic bottle to work.
NcGunny

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions