Wid's Guillow's Cessna 150 second try.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Wid's Guillow's Cessna 150 second try.

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:01 pm

I was not going to post this build but I noticed that the Guillow's Forum main topic board has been moving kind of slowly. Anyway I had received my order of two Guillow's kits. I decided to work with the Laser Cut kit Cessna 150. This is my second attempt at this kit. The first time I was not as enthusiastic about the build as I am on this attempt.
https://youtu.be/cwDT0KQWVqE The first attempt at my Cessna 150 I was more interested in reducing the plans to a 17 inch wing span model. I did build the LC kit sort of for practice for the reduced kit. BTW here is video of the 17 inch kit.
https://youtu.be/-YxHGtp470E

Now that I have a new style winding stooge I am hoping to get much better results.
WIDDOG

Re: Wid's Guillow's Cessna 150 second try.

Postby NcGunny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Wid..was just checking out ur vids. That AMT Thunderbird man!!! Not long ago I bought a lot of 20 Bill Elliots to use as cores for other drivers. Every single box had ruined Slixxs. I remember buying that model new and the slixxs were bad out of the box. In the middle of a new tooling Revell Me-262 build,I was lucky to snag a pre production kit so I gotta run.
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks for posting NcGunny. The main topic board has been really slow moving lately. Oh well I guess it works out well for me. People seem to be reading my posts more than usual.

Anyway talking about vid's I really like this guys videos. https://youtu.be/Toh845PYRhw. This video really gives me inspiration for the Guillow's kit 309. I really think that i'll be able to get my second attempt to fly well. I really like the point Don Ross makes in his book about how the rubber motor is really all you got; and how important it is to get the max from it. With Peck Polymer back in business I went ahead an ordered a 9.5 inch propeller. I had used a 7 inch propeller in my first attempt. I feel that getting the propeller and motor set up correctly is half the battle. Also my "Trimming" technique has improved greatly with each build/fly I attempt.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:37 pm

I measured the kit wood and came up with the following.

Sheet A 8.25 lbs.

Sheet B 13.34 lbs.

Sheet C 8.01 lbs.

Sheet D 9.87 lbs.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:44 am

Wow the old topic board is still moving slow. Anyway to all the members that are working on different companies kit. I wanted to show you how great this Laser Cut kit is. It's an absolute blast to work with this Guillow's kit. This is really a very petty thing but I don't like the parts numbers etched into the parts. Besides that all good. Since there are not too many people posting these day seems like my posts are getting read more.

Well back to the build. Great laser cut kit tail went together very fast. Interesting thing is that the tail is the thicker 3/32" Balsa.

I really like this improved Elemer's Glue. Dries very hard and is sandable.

WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:12 am

Just got a delivery of hand select from Revell 15 count each bundle.. 2-3/32x4x36" and 2-1/8x4x36". Figure my next 4 olanes will eat it up like mad. The ME-262 has a 27" ws but am hoping to use alot of basswood that I got on clearance from Michaels in the build. I have been using the original Elmers wood glue and find it a bear to sand by hand. Wish I could go all CA but its so brittle on wood.
NcGunny

Postby NcGunny » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:09 am

Check out this guys rubber powered moster Wid. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xlbrx10EOZY
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:33 pm

I had bought some Peck Polymer wood before A2z discontinued selling it. BTW Peck Polymer is back in business. http://www.peck-polymers.com/ Anyway i'm getting very low on contest Balsa wood. I stopped building/posting scratch built models here awhile ago. I started buying and building Guillow's kit again. Now to be honest the kit wood seemed to be pretty good middle grade wood.

Wow what a great video. Very inspiring.

Anyway another benefit with using LC kit wood is how fast the rough framing goes. Image
WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Revell wood is supplied from Great Planes who are both owned by Hobbico. Kinda like Testors paint being made by Rustoleum. I had a LC kit awhile ago that was a great build, not a Guillows but I doubt there is alot of difference in LC sheets.
NcGunny

Postby SpiceMan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Greetings Wid,
Just thought that I'd mention that I just finished my 150 build, mid last month. And you're right ... it's an excellent LC kit. :!: I started mine in mid December, and worked on her off-and-on, when I had time. One reason that it took so long is that I did mine as a 3 Channel RC conversion. Took LOTS of photos along the way, and I'm quite happy with the end results. :D
Haven't had a chance to maiden her yet, but I'm feeling that she'll be another good flyer. :) If all goes well with the maiden, I hope to open a post here, and tell my story ... if anybody is interested.
SpiceMan

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:21 pm

SpiceMan,

I for one would like to see pictures of your 150 R/C conversion.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Good luck with this one Wid. 2nd times a charm, right. :D Would love to build one of these as an LC kit.
backyardbalsapilot wrote:SpiceMan,

I for one would like to see pictures of your 150 R/C conversion.
Try one you'll like it. It's probably about the easiest flying 3ch model I've flown, and it's not light.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7gySPVBtyo
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:01 am

Hey you guys are correct super cool. I have just learned to fly 4 ch RC model airplanes. I am very interested in Guillow's RC conversions. Hopefully someday soon I will do my own RC conversion. Learning to fly RC I feel has really helped my rubber powered FF. Also I really enjoy reading the posts about RC conversions. Don't get me wrong rubber power free flight is my fave but RC is a very close second place.

Rubber powered FF is a tough mistress. Seems like it would be easy but its not. With each of my builds I have gotten a bit better. I still have a long way to go. Just wanted to show this video. Even though Guillow's does not make a All Sheet kit; Don Ross's book definitely talks about them. I am starting to get it into my head that the propeller and motor combination is so important. Also I have been starting to build a kit and attempt to fly it take notes and rebuild and fly. For example I learned on the first build of this kit my propeller was to small. I have order bigger propellers that should show up about the time I have this model finished.

https://youtu.be/Uu56PB6V1lY
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:10 pm

Moving right along with the build. I don't always build landing gear but for some reason I can bend wire pretty well.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:42 pm

I took the extra time and added a removable nose block. I like this design because if the cowling gets damaged it can be easily replaced. I know it adds a bit of weight but even with the extra weight I will still have to add some nose weight clay to balance the model. BTW I use a shim to adjust the thrust angle.

WIDDOG

Next

Return to General Building Questions