MonoKote

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

MonoKote

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 am

I used MonoKote. Its easier than I thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Re: MonoKote

Postby David Lewis » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:10 pm

I believe MonoKote runs 58 to 60 grams/square metre. Esaki Jap tissue weighs about 10 to 12 grams/square metre. Doped Jap tissue is about 19 g/m^2.
Last edited by David Lewis on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Lewis

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:07 pm

David Lewis. I took Your advice, and you are correct. Laminating,and doubling are the strongest and lightest ways to add strength.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby David Lewis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 pm

The story is told that Guillow's many years ago, reacting to customer complaints of fragility, tried to improve the ruggedness of their designs by (among other things) painting the tissue with shellac to reinforce it. It didn't work.

Strength-to-weight ratio is maximized when the covering carries only aerodynamic loads and no structural loads. And the lower the wing loading the better an airplane will survive hard landings/crashes.
David Lewis

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 am

Try Microlite sometime David, if you get a chance. It takes a while to get onto, since it's tricky to handle, but the light weight is worth every bit of the effort.
David Lewis wrote:I believe MonoKote runs 58 to 60 grams/square metre. Jap tissue weighs about 10 to 12 grams/square metre.
That's what got me onto Coverite Microlite. I started with Monokote, and would only cover a plane over 50" span with that stuff now, if I can help it. Occasionally I'll used Ekonokote or Parklite, if it's in a color desired, but not on models under 30" span. Lightly painted Microlite isn't much worse than doped/painted tissue in terms of weight. Still not as light, but a good alternative for people wanting iron-on coverings.
Bill Gaylord

Postby David Lewis » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:27 pm

There is also Risteen Associates MicroLite, which is same format as MonoKote (iron-on, heat-sensitive adhesive) except the substrate is 5 um thick mylar. Weight is 10 to 15 g/m^2.

Coverite MicroLite weighs 18 to 22 g/m^2 depending on color.

I have compiled a table of covering weights: http://www.homefly.com/reference/Coveri ... roduct.htm
David Lewis

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:56 pm

I think it came out ok for My first MonoKote job. I will definitely get the lighter stuff next time.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:04 am

Hi Guys and Gals...

Back home just for a few days... went to my IPMS (Int'l Plastic Model's Society) meeting yesterday. Another gent brought in a Guillow Balsa flying model. He used Future floor polish in lieu of dope. Just a thought for a different substitute for dope.

Mitch

PS: Next month I plan to bring in my painted Tamiya plastic Pilot figures along my my 400 series Me 109 and Zero!
Mitch

Postby NcGunny » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Mitch I will be at the IPMS Nationals in Ohio next week. Suppose to deliver a pre production retool of Me262,but I am loathe to give it up..lol. Will you be attending?
NcGunny

Return to General Building Questions