Wheel jig

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Wheel jig

Postby NcGunny » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:28 am

Does anybody have the plans for making the wheel jig? I have seen the pic but not.actual construction instructions for it. Thanks
NcGunny

Re: Wheel jig

Postby Skyediamonds » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 am

Gunny,
Good morning from Reno,NV. Read your request for making wheels. I presume you're referring to the spoke-wheel variety. There's another website called: VirtualAerodrome.com in which one of the modelers is scratch building a Loening amphibian. He has basically laid out in photographic detail along with captions a step-by-step process to making a custom set of wheels. Like this site, you'll have to register, but it's easy & free. Good luck. Sky
Skyediamonds

Postby David Lewis » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 pm

I've posted instuctions here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2697
for making turned wheels.
The 5th post shows a drawing of the wheel shaping jig.
David Lewis

Postby NcGunny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Dave,
Thats the jig I looked at before..So....to get the inside radius did you just wing it or is there a template floating somewhere? Also if there is a template I could make the radius section enlarge or collapse to do several scales.
NcGunny

Postby NcGunny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Skye,
Saw the guys photo build. Wish he had gave credit to the author who originally perfected this making dragster rims in a Scale Car book published in the early 80's. Almost photo to photo build, except original author used wire for the spokes. Nice build anyways.
NcGunny

Postby rayl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 am

Gunny: I'm the guy that had the photos for the spoked wheel jig over on the V/A site. Never having been a car guy, I couldn't give credit to a author/article that I've never seen. I firmly believe that there are very few things under the sky that are new (with the exception of the guys at Apple coming up with toys that nobody really needs), but if there is ever a direct link between what I am doing and what I have seen somewhere, credit is always given. Thanks for the compliment by the way.
rayl

Postby NcGunny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Pretty much nothing you could do today that hasnt been done before..lol. wait...you need to add some valve stems,and cut some treads into that tubing. It has never ceased to amaze me at the length we will go to recreate authentic detail. I went nuts once thinking nobody had done a speedo cluster with real needles..5 hours it took on a cluster and my buddy says.."its been done before..Issue #..car title..I was devastated.
NcGunny

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:15 pm

A few years ago I built a set of spoked wheels for an Avro type F, and another 3" set that I still have sitting around. I found a few sites with some information. If I remember correctly, Peter Rake's was the most useful. Here's a few links to those sites, including the wheels I constructed.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 523&page=6
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/spoked.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186335
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68457
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby NcGunny » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Thxs Bill.
Some decent info on there. I ordered 3 different scales tire rim combo's today. Going to try and make the jig scaleable I guess,
NcGunny

Postby David Lewis » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:10 pm

"So.... to get the inside radius did you just wing it or is there a template floating somewhere?"

I scale the inside radius off the side view of the full size drawing. If that is not available, I estimate the radius from photos. If you look at the perspective sketch of the sanding jig, the balsa disc with the sandpaper facing makes the inside radius. The outermost ring of the wheel blank already has a hole in the center same diameter as the wheel (hub) so not much sanding is required.
David Lewis

Return to General Building Questions