Sopwith Camel propellor

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Sopwith Camel propellor

Postby rodders » Tue May 19, 2015 7:10 am

Hi, I am building the Sopwith Camel and in the plastic parts is a black kind of pre-finished prop plus two halves of a much smaller blow-moulded prop. How do these parts go together? Or maybe they don't.
rodders

Re: Sopwith Camel propellor

Postby Mitch » Tue May 19, 2015 9:03 am

Rodders,

The finished prop is what is intended to use if you fly the airplane with a rubber motor. The vacu-form parts are intended to be assembled to represent the scale prop if you build the model for display. There should be instructions and some pictures about the vacu-form parts. When carefully removed and assembled the vacu-form parts work just fine.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby NcGunny » Tue May 19, 2015 10:13 am

I just ordered from this company.http://www.hobbyexpress.com/propellers_357_ctg.htm
The thought of that plastic prop on my static models is horrid,and the vacu parts are okay for what they are. :roll:
NcGunny

Postby cliffm » Wed May 20, 2015 1:51 am

I have found that layering some scrap and gluing it with or without staining every other layer and then carving a scale prop gives some very nice looking results. After you have a finished product a couple coats of clear or varnish sets it off nicely.
cliffm

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat May 23, 2015 12:21 am

The wood props for glow models sold at hobby shops are dirt cheap, and can be reshaped and stained for scale appearance. They're not efficient compared with molded plastic electric props, but I've used them for electric rc with reasonable results, given some performance sacrifice for scale looks. My Camel flies well with one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby rodders » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks for the replies, saved me a lot of head scratching! As the model will be only for display I will buy a ready-made that's close in size.
rodders

Postby NcGunny » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:22 pm

I just placed a order with Tower Hobby and bought 2 props for my upcoming Stampe builds. Cost of both props were 4.39 each. Also ran into some decent looking blow mold radial engines that are in the 2 dollar range. Even a plastic prop could be faux wood painted and look decent.
NcGunny

Return to General Building Questions