Local shop scalping kits

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Local shop scalping kits

Postby NcGunny » Wed May 13, 2015 2:06 pm

A local second hand/thrift/sell everything store routinely calls me whenever he gets in models. I have always got a fair deal from the owners,until today..lol So he calls and says they got a estate sale closed and have 2 dozen plane kits.I am figuring plastic cause i never saw any balsa kits. I get there and he says they have them in the office for me to look at. I walk in and see a pile of Guillows kits. I seperate into the series and am thinking I will get em for 5.00 buxs each.He had 1of the launchers that come with the parachute guy. He wants 40.00 for it!!! I asked how much apiece for the planes...doesnt matter what series it is 70.00 each!! I ask him if he has been hitting the crack pipe already today,and if he somehow lost his mind. "Guillows is out of business and these are all collectables" I said "you idiot,I just got replacement parts from them 2.weeks ago" Not one kit he had couldnt be.bought from Amazon for under 45.00. I even showed him the prices, ends up he fesses up that he paid 60.00 apiece from the seller who had a good line of b.s. I offered 200.00 for all and told him to call me tomorrow. Moral of he story is...No your prices and/or have a smart phone handy I guess. Awhile ago i got ripped on a 1000 series that i bought at a show,got it home and box was full of scrap balsa and paper towels. This box was still covered in shrink wrap.First time out of 100's of kits I have bought that was phoney.
NcGunny

Re: Local shop scalping kits

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri May 15, 2015 11:55 am

The used kit "burner boxes" are why you pretty much have to insist on full parts photos on Ebay, or anywhere else. There's a few knowledgeable sellers who are trustworthy and know what should be in there, but guess what, they're also smart enough to get more money by posting full parts photos. Their rating doesn't matter, since many of them have no clue of what's supposed to be in there. They take and post a photo of the box (sometimes 5 times for whatever unknown reason) yet sometimes refuse to open the lid, lift the plans/decals/tissue and take another 1 or 2 photos. As for pricing, a bit of Ebay study will give a good idea of value.

Your thrift store dealer may have actually been truthful, in telling you how much he over paid for them. Traditionally these wheel and deal types will want to vindicate themselves and "pass on the beat" whenever they get ripped off. They refuse to simply accept it as a personal failure, for whatever reason/s.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Mitch » Fri May 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Every Seller wants to make a dollar and every Buyer is looking to save money...

On the other end of the spectrum, my LHS who has started to sell Guillow kits had old Catalina kit 2004 on his clearance table... the price was $50.00 with a line though it. That means half price... $25.00. Upon inspection of the kit the decals are cracked and I offered him $20.00. He said "SOLD". I will get replacement decals for $5.00 on my next order from Guillow's.

Only he knows what he paid for it, and we are both happy...

Now if I can only build this thing to fly, I might build it!

Mitch
Mitch

Postby NcGunny » Sat May 16, 2015 9:55 am

I ended up getting a P40,Stuka x2 and a FW for 20.00 each. Just because he had got in 4 original Revell Sox and Martin kits NIB I snatched for 10.00 apiece. Somtimes I wonder how people hang onto old kits and dont even open them.Twenty years later they find em....
NcGunny

Return to General Building Questions