Building and Flying the DH4, kit 205

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Building and Flying the DH4, kit 205

Postby Mitch » Fri May 22, 2015 3:43 am

I got my "NEW" OOP kit from the P.O. today. This is one of the BEST OOP kits I have received. The plans were not touching the balsa so they are clean and no brown stain. When I build the model again I will use the first set of plans I have and keep these as reference. The catalog in the kit only shows the 1000 series as 2 models 1001 and 1002, at a price of $10.00. So for me this dates the production of this kit in the early 70's.

I weighed the landing gear wires. The wire from this kit is 2 grams, The wire I used is 7 grams. But I did not use the entire length. Moreover it is low and forward, so I do not think it is such a big deal. But this model weighing at 100 grams is now my baseline and my next generation DH-4 should be better! I also received my new Flying Ace Club News, and another purchase on ebay is the Windsock Data File on 2 planes of the Great War... The DH-4 and the Rumpler C-5! I will use that as reference for doing the details, and also use it when I build my next De Havilland and Rumpler! I have not received that yet.

Flight Tests for the DH-4 will commence after Memorial Day! :D

Mitch, Keep Building, Keep Flying, Keep Buying! :wink:

PS: I bought the DH-4 kit for the opening bid of $24.99! Another Orange DH-4, that makes every DH-4 I have received was with Orange Paper! :o
Mitch

Postby NcGunny » Fri May 22, 2015 10:06 am

I almost finished my landing gears so we can compare weights. I think they will probably be close to your handmade weight. Mitch have you ever seen a French Stampe SV4C for sale? I have thought of making a clone of High Road to China planes.
NcGunny

Postby Mitch » Fri May 22, 2015 12:08 pm

No, but I have not looked for one either. I had to check Wikipedia to find out what the plane is. But I did just get a Rumpler... Not the C-5 Guillow kit but the Taube (Dove). There are Hundreds of kits available and thousands of plans, if you can not find what you are looking for in a kit I bet you can find plans. Check with Hip Pocket, that is another forum and they have many OOP plans available. They have all the 100 series Guillow plans also since the copyright expired!

...and although I never bought the spoked wheel kit... I might need to for this model. I got the model off ebay (2) available. I bought one. the kit is 22 inch ws and was 'buy it now' for less than $20.00. It is printed parts so I will need to cut everything out. I thought of buying 2 kits but since it is printed I figure I can just make copies before I start cutting. The spoke wheel kits are still available but they are $85.00 for a pair, and that's the kit!... assembled add another $175.00! After I get the Taube I will see what size wheels she needs. Spoke wheel kits come in sizes from 1 inch to 3-1/2 inches in small increments. They are all the same price, but the smaller wheels have less spokes.

Mitch

PS: I just checked and EasyBuiltModels has the Taube available for 25 dollars and that is a laser cut kit! I should have checked first... for 5 dollars more I think laser cut kit is the way to go... I think the hand cut version will make a nice project when I am back at sea!
Mitch

Postby NcGunny » Fri May 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Several of the old dragster kits come with spoke wheels like that and many after market motorcycle parts. If you get a chance look into some. The last 60's dragster I did was spoked front and the entire kit was 30.00. Of course the tires are slicks but they would be easy to carve.
NcGunny

Postby Mitch » Thu May 28, 2015 11:55 am

Well I received my Dove (Taube) the other day. I believe it is a different kit than EasyBuilt. It is R/N models (never heard of them) I plan to use the 1-1/2 inch micro light wheels I have. (wood wheels came in the kit)

The plans says there are 2 sources for spoke wheels, but I can not find the companies they refer to. There is no dates on the plans and I do not know when they were drawn. The only source I know for spoke wheels is from Arizona Models. They are CNC cut aluminum hubs and rims, and the spokes are made from thread I believe.

Mitch

:!: Update :!: I just found the wheels! Shorty's Basement has them and they are not too expensive. They come in sizes from 3/4 inch to 2 inches. For this model 1-1/4 inch will be just right! 30 dollars for a pair except for the largest size and that is 40.00. :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 am

Here is a picture of the start of her short flight at Meadowbrook:
She was tail heavy, but survived this flight with no damage.

Later that same day at my school yard with more ballast and with her motor wound to 5 in oz of torque, she took off but was still tail heavy, she climbed under full power but being tail heavy she stalled, and here is the result of that flight:

I am making repairs and am adding one more rib at the fuselage joint. I need this to attach the paper:
When the ribs are dry I will add the top paper. Then glue and clamp the lower wing to the fuselage, then cover the bottom.

As hard as she hit she suffered very little damage. No broken wood at all, and no cracks on the plastic cowling. Moreover the landing gear is in fine order. Basically her wings came off! So I am very happy with her solid construction.

I also added 5 more grams of ballast and will re check her balance and do more glides and low powered flights before she gets high powered flights again.

Mitch...Keep Flying, Keep Repairing...and hopefully Keep learning my lessons. :oops:
Mitch

Postby DenisCullinan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Hi Mitch---

This is a terrific building job! It shows what can be done with a kit when a really skillful craftsman gets to work on it. It's a pleasure to watch your build developing.

From--

-----Denis Cullinan
DenisCullinan

Postby Mitch » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:06 am

Thank you...but I think there are better builders and flyers out there... but I like to share what I learn here!

The damage is really very minor. She was just still tail heavy. I got over confident and put too much power to her before she was balanced.

I hope to have her back in the air soon! I have another DH-4 kit, but as you know there are getting harder to find so I need to be careful!

I should learn more with current production kits rather than OOP ones!

Mitch
Mitch

Previous

Return to General Building Questions