Laser Cut P-47

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Laser Cut P-47

Postby scigs30 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:43 pm

This is my newest build, a laser cut Guillows P-47 built out of the box for rubber powered and to test the parts for Guillows. The wood quality, well what can I say 8lb balsa and excellent laser cutting. This kit has everything from a freeflight build to RC build with all the details, it is up to the builder. With the upcoming laser cutting and quality balsa, nobody does it better than Guillows. The only modifications I am making is for a removable nose block, using white Esaki Tissue sprayed with DM Floral Silver spray.......I think. Also I increased the dihedral by 1/2 inch. This plane was built in a matter of a couple days because of the laser cut parts and built with white wood glue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Laser Cut P-47

Postby Mitch » Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 am

I am glad to hear your model went together well. I built the Beta 1, and there were a few problems. Mine is still in skeleton... I can work on lightening it up for rubber power. Can you weigh the skeleton for us? Mine weighs 48 grams. I believe it needs to be lighter.

As with you, when I got to it, this took me about 3 days...most of that time was documenting the few mistakes with Beta 1. Since you are going for rubber, I could work on modifying my frame to lighten it up. I would plan to cover mine with domestic light tissue grey and then a little green airbrushing camo. We could compare flight notes. My dihedral is as per Guillow plans for a FF model.

I can also show you how I am doing my nose block, if you would like to see that, but it sounds like you know what you are doing.

So I have a question for you. Where are you planning on the rear peg placement?

Mitch

PS: My 1000 series Hellcat weighs in at 122 grams w/o prop and motor. She has glided very well, and will get her first powered flights on Sunday!
Mitch

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri May 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Man, I gotta get one of these... When will they be available to the public?

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby woundedbear » Sat May 16, 2015 7:58 pm

How did you get a laser cut P-47? No wait a minute... How can I get a laser cut P-47
woundedbear

Postby woundedbear » Wed May 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Nice build ! very neat and clean. Can't weight till their available. I'll be the first to put my money down, just love the war birds.
woundedbear

Postby davidchoate » Mon May 25, 2015 5:13 pm

I have been back in this hobby about 5 yrs now and have just recently begun to build laser cut kits. I felt it necessary to first become skilled in making parts Myself. Scigs is one of the best builders i've seen, but even if its your first model, It will look as good as His if its a laser cut kit. I dont know why, but I just think its important to develope all skills. I have (with a bit of guilt) just yesterday, went and bought some MonoKote and all the tools to use it on My current project. Which I cant show cause its not a Guillows. I will accidentally place it in the background of My next Guillows build though.
davidchoate

Postby cliffm » Mon May 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Back to that question, when can one of us average joes purchase one of these laser cut kits. As the last p-47 I built is hanging in V.A. doctors office I need another. What about the other giant scales availability. Sure would like a corsair and a hellcat and a stuka, well the whole series plus the bombers,please Mr. Guillows!!!
cliffm

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 30, 2015 6:35 am

A year or more ago Guillows gave out a laser cut kit to some of us who werre lucky enough to have been on here when they did. I got a Stearman. Very nice kit. I was under the impression they were having us assemble them to check for imperfections and fitting of the pieces. They were then going to start laser cut of all their kits. I dont when, but would assume soon you will be able to get them.
davidchoate

Postby scigs30 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Its has been awhile but I had a day off to start covering my P-47 laser cut kit. I still plan on flying with rubber and try to keep the modifications down. So far I made a removable nose block and increased the dihedral. I covered the plane with Guillows Grey, Red and white tissue and Peck Green Tissue and brushed with 2 coats of Aerogloss dope. Still have a lot to do and don't know when I will have time to get to it, but hopefully soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Postby Mitch » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 am

Very Nice job on the covering... I am home for a day. When I get off my ship I will plan finish my version. I built my skeleton as per plans and we will see if she will fly with rubber power. I think I will cover mine with the Guillow paper and spay with LusterKote Aluminum TOPR7506. I get off my ship in 21 days!

Mitch
Mitch

Postby NavyAD1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:34 am

Your "Jug" build is beautiful. I would like to see Guillow add the parts for a Razorback.
NavyAD1

Postby scigs30 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:26 pm

I was able to finish my P-47 today and she is ready for rubber flight. I made a small modification to the nose to allow for a removable nose block, nothing fancy just keep it simple. I glued the cowl to the balsa blocks so if she does not fly with rubber I can rip off the cowl and add electrictonics. All the landing gear parts are removable for flight but could be left in. The prop is too small so I will be adding another. The weight without landing gear is 90 grams and will need nose clay. I did increase the dihedral so the wing fairings had to be shaved but otherwise they fit well. The canopy was moved forward for a better fit, could not get it sit right placed as shown on the plans. Once again I used domestic tissue for everything including the red cowl, only painted the black tail wheel and black inside cowl. The HV decal on the right side will be removed and the correct orientation will be placed once I order a new decal or make one. Covering was simple, first where you see the white tissue was placed first with glue stick reinforced with 50/50 white glue. Then the grey was added followed by the black, green and red. The trim was applied with glue stick and shrunk with alcohol. Once again a great laser cut kit from Guillows, I would say the best balsa kit for your buck. One can build a simple plane or add the details for RC or display. I think Guillows is doing a wonderful job of adding laser cut quality wood to their kits, the old die crunched oak was terrible. I am amazed that we were able to build and fly the old Guillows kits. Thank you Dale for the wonderful Kit, and Howard for the Guillows Contest.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:27 pm

More pictures
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:28 pm

last pictures
scigs30

Postby cliffm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:43 am

[url][/url]Image I had problems on my first p-47 build with the canopy so I cut it as you see,( I hope this comes up as planned) but this model was given to a doctor at the V.A. so I'm looking forward to building the laser cut version. I remember this kit quite well so it must have been one of my more enjoyable builds. The cover job on your kit is beautiful,outstanding job. I know the weight of the one pictured here is very non-flyable,but yours may have a chance with a large enough prop and motor,so good luck.
cliffm

Return to General Building Questions