Any interest in craft paint mixes?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Any interest in craft paint mixes?

Postby NcGunny » Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 am

Been working on a craft paint mix to copy Vallejo colors. I have a friend that works in a body shop and we have been using the business color match pc to try to replicate Vallejo German Air paint. Since we can only do it on the weekend its a timely process.(boss is gone on weekends)..lol I do have Allied paint sets I can do also but German will be first since I exclusively model German militaria. I only went to craft paints after realizing how much I spent in a years time. I am thinking the mix ratio I will use should be in mL? I use windshield wash as my thinner so that is what the color is based on,some people use windex but I find it clogs my airbrush to fast and flash times are swift. If anyone is interested let me know and if you can think of anything to make it more user friendly for yourself drop me a suggestion.
NcGunny

Re: Any interest in craft paint mixes?

Postby Mitch » Tue May 05, 2015 10:32 am

Hello...

I am not sure the best way to thin craft paint... I usually use colored paper for my models. My new FW is planned for the paint shop and I plan to use Vallejo Paints. I did buy some Vallejo Thinner specifically for thinning the paint for use in an airbrush. I plan to use my single stage Paasche Airbrush.

Although the Vallejo paints seems expensive I use them for painting model soldiers for wargamming and so far I only use a few drops at a time... even then I thin the paint with water. We will see how much paint I use to paint the 1/16 scale FW.

Using Vallejo Paints though my airbrush will be a new experience for me and I will let you know how I do and will be interested to see your results also.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby PsyberPhlier » Tue May 05, 2015 9:17 pm

FWIW, I have good luck thinning craft paints (acrylics) with denatured alcohol and spraying with an airbrush.

Sure, I am interested.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby NcGunny » Wed May 06, 2015 10:08 am

Thats how the windshield fluid works Psy..just like ur alcohol. I can use windex but for the beginner airbrush guy his/her results would prolly be iffy. Orange peel, clogged tips and needle etching on cheap airbrushes. I talked to a guy that had a portable paint system. Laptop and a gun you held up to object,he went to Nascar races and had pit pass and would go around and scan their car colors. He made rattle cans of paint to sell to hobby shops,so he is willing to sell me his equipment for cheap. But...he lost the program for the paint mixture part,so he is looking atm.
NcGunny

Postby PsyberPhlier » Wed May 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Well, if you could adapt the system to brush acrylics in bottle, all nice and color matched, it would be abundantly cool. I just spent a lot of time, with primary colors only, creating the 'just right' two colors for a simulated wood prop on my Curtiss Robin.

If the bottles came fairly thick, then the user could thin based on need. And small, acrylics really start to turn after a couple of years.

Cool thing is, you only need 5 bottles of paint to make anything.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Return to General Building Questions