Wid's Jet Thread

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Wid's Jet Thread

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:11 pm

I got the little motors boxed up for you. They should be really nice for a twin. It was quite a while ago that I powered them up, but I remember being impressed with the thrust on a 4.8V battery.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks much Bill! I just wanted to thank Bill and the rest of the Advanced Members. They really do a great job.

I remember after my C130 fail. Nobody put me down.Members gave me good advice. Mostly to get more 4 ch rc experience. Which I now see was great advice.

It's to far a drive for me to join a RC club. However, with some help and advice from this forum I really think I can get the Guillow's F 15 to fly.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:49 am

Unfortunately I have to walk back my recommendation for plantraco gear. The micro wiring is too Brittle and breaks too easy. Also very difficult to repair the wire. I recommend micro Molex connectors.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:49 am

Well i found my old 12 inch wing span jets. I had moved and the models had a rough trip. I think i can fix them up enough to do some test flights.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:27 pm

I added two electric wing motors. Also i added my electric FF timer. I will test fly the next good weather day.

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:06 pm

I sent you the Air Hogs motors today. I could see them being more powerful than the really small LPS type motors. Given that they fly the Dominator, they should fly one of these Guillow's micro jets with no problem.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks much and I think you are right about the Dominator motor. I am posting old test fights. I think the small motors where under powered. However, I also think that the motors should have been on the back of the wing.
https://youtu.be/Ly7_Ex3KIh0
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:20 am

I missed the video dang nab it. I totally missed the video of the best electric free flight i ever had. Due to prior wing damage i will have to re build the wings till i can try another try at electric free flight.

https://youtu.be/anBB-Ghgdv4
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:57 pm

I've had that happen. Had to maiden my Heston Phoenix twice, to get the video. For whatever reason, people want to keep clicking the on-off shutter, when I have people film. I've finally got it down to a basic instruction. Tell them not to touch anything, and just hand me the camera and then I'll shut it off. They want to look through the view finder also, which can't effectively be done, versus simply aiming the camera at the model which works fine. I have a video with my micro Dumas Peashooter, where I dropped the camera to my side and it was hanging from the neck string. It still managed to film the flight during that time period, other than being sideways. I also managed to shoot a photo once by accident. When I loaded it, all I could see was a very spooky dark looking face with jaws open, since the light meter had probably just been adjusted to brighter light. The photo was almost black. I lightened the photo, which turned out to be my dog, in the middle of a yawn.

Those little Spektrum bricks might be the ideal thing. I'd have a bit of concern about the Dominator motors drawing over their current rating at 2A, but they're probably close. I should have set them up on the wattmeter to get an idea, although I believe the old Astro meter I have won't function on 4.8v. I've never looked to see if the bricks for the twins, such as the Mosquito, actually have a higher rating or just 2 output ports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:36 pm

The motors arrived today in the mail! Thanks much again Bill. The prototype flying can resume. I transfered the small motors and timer gear over to the A7. They where too small and the model was way underpowered. I did collect video but nothing really to see. I think the bigger motors will work better.

In the move to my house I not only damaged the wings to the F14. I also lost the plans. I was able to repair the wings with a hot glue gun. However, the repairs only lasted for a couple of flights. I decided to try to replace the damaged wings with foam wings. Also I will reorder plans from Guillow's.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:05 am

I was able to replace the broken wings on the F14 with hand made foam wings.
The flying video is terrible. I hope it confirms that the model does fly.
https://youtu.be/QjIyF7TVTzY
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:40 pm

I started back to work on the old Air Hogs F14 Tomcat. I am attempting to convert it from a 2ch toy into a 3ch RC.

I had a 3amp micro ESC. However, It could only handle half throttle. I had to change it out for a 5 amp ESC. I will test fly next good weather day.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:53 pm

I test flew the Air Hogs converted to 3 ch today. Once I got it trimmed it flew nicely. Only problem is I think I burned out my 5 amp ESC. Will tale time for replacement ESC to arrive.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:07 pm

I was able to do an easy fix on the RC Air Hogs. I think test flying and belly landing in wet grass got the ESC a bit damp. Letting it dry really good overnight seems to have fixed it. I will wait for better weather to test fly next time.

I had an old Peanut rubber powered model plane. The model flew really well with rubber power just not very long. Anyway today I converted it to electric FF. I stared with 10 seconds flights. I clicked it to 20 seconds and it flew OOS Out Of Sight.https://youtu.be/UcWb0JEL_Cg
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:55 pm

The biplane flies really well. Gotta love all the added wing area. Now we have to wait a while for this weather we're having in these parts to improve, to do much more flying.
Bill Gaylord

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions