Wid's Jet Thread

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Wid's Jet Thread

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:42 pm

I know I have another Jet topic tread. I don't really like it so I decided to try another Jet Thread. Aerowerks has a reproduction kit of the old Guillow's kit GU 5012 Mig 15. I do have one on order and will report here about the Build. I am hopping it is sort of a hand launched glider. I do have an electric FF timer and some motors. I am planning to make a EDF similar to my Air Hogs A 10. Speaking of which I had a couple of 2 ch's out flying today. https://youtu.be/wyz2txiOxFA . I think Guillow's sold an RC A 10 at one point.

BTW I still have the notion of building and flying the Guillow's F 14 someday.

WIDDOG

Re: Wid's Jet Thread

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:50 pm

The Mig 15 kit made here from Aerowerks already. Once again I'm impressed with the quality of this Short Kit. It does come with a clear canopy. It says it is Exhibition or Whip control model. I'm not exactly sure what Whip Control is.

WIDDOG

Postby David Lewis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Whip control means you tie a string to one wingtip, and the other end of the string to the end of a stick. You then swing the glider around in a circle. There is a thread in this forum (Swinging with the Comet 'nickle and dimers' and other stuff) dealing with this form of flying.

Mitch wrote: "But I suppose you could put a hook on the bottom of the model to launch the model with a rubber band... like a sling shot?"

Technical term would be catapult glider.
Last edited by David Lewis on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Lewis

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:45 pm

I am just guessing here... but I suppose you could put a hook on the bottom of the model to launch the model with a rubber band... like a sling shot?

Mitch
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks for posting David I looked it up very interesting stuff there. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1646&p=17866&hilit=whip+control#p17866

Hi Mitch glad to have you back.

I was thinking about electric power. I have always been impressed with the way Air Hogs has handled Jets. I think they stopped making the last cool looking jet the F 18 about five years ago. I have a collection of the "Good Ones" like the F 14, A 10, F 117. I don't have the F 18 but I think this kit is very similar. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/F18-remo ... 24345.html Anyway they used to make a EDF with a two bladed propeller in a duct. Also I could try the old two motors on the wings.

Now I have a 4 ch 10 ws model plane. It flies really well but I notice that I don't use the aileron control. I think a three channel would be better. Maybe even a 2 ch. So once again I have to give credit to Air Hogs. I think that with the dihedral in the wings it flies better on two channels.https://youtu.be/lbzOz9k1Vfs. Now two channels may not impress a lot of the RC people. But to a FF modeler it seems to be flying fine.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:31 am

Before I start my Mig 15 Build I am gathering the electronic equipment. I had, from a previous experiment, harvested the electronics out of an old Air Hogs Jet. I attached them to a prototype scratch built model. The experimental prototype did fly. However, The prototype was a bit too heavy for the old Air Hogs battery and the flights where very short. I ended the experiment. Because, At that time I thought I wanted a 4 ch Guillow's F 14. The problem the way I saw it was the display only F 14 would be way to heavy for the Air Hogs type set up.

I became busy learning, on Foamies, 4 ch RC flying. Although I didn't become very good at 4 ch flying. I did learn that I liked Free Flight better than RC. I now feel that 2 ch RC is kind of a go between RC and FF. I feel that 2 ch offers kind of the best of both worlds. I recently launched a rubber powered free flight model, under full power, straight into the ground. I really could have benefited with throttle control.

I did not know about the old Guillow's Mig 15 kit 5012. I have always like Guillow's Jets. When I found out that this is a Whip Control flying model designed to fly. I wanted to build a 2 ch RC again. I think that if I upgrade the battery I might be able to get the Mig 15 prototype to fly.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 am

Quick update the old Air Hogs radio gear is not working. I have some Hobby King micro RC gear. I will use the HK stuff instead of the old RC gear.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Here is the picture of the exploded view of the Mig 15. I do have an electric timer for FF. I decided that for my first attempt at flying this model to go with electric FF.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Moving right along with the build. I managed to get the wings rough framed. I do understand that Guillow's could not bring back all their old kits. However, This one I really like. It was a 50 series kit. It feels a lot like a 900 series kit build to me. IMHO if Guillow's was going to add new models to it's line up. I would like them to add a new 900 series kit. I also understand that Guillow's most popular series are Multi Purpose kits. I think it's kind of old school thinking.

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Looks like it would be a nice little 30mm EDF for rc or ff. The DPC laser cut kits are well worth the money for precision parts. Much more rewarding than buying one of those RTF Horizon Hobby micro jets off the shelf.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Fri May 01, 2015 12:07 am

Bill Gaylord wrote:Looks like it would be a nice little 30mm EDF for rc or ff.

Yes I was still have not given up on the EDF idea. I have a toy 2 ch with 2 EDF's that I think would work on this model. I am going to make the first prototype FF. If I can get it to fly at all than the next time I will try RC. I think that an experienced modeler at converting Guillow's to RC would have no trouble with this kit.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 am

Started working on the electrical components. The model definitely seems like it would be a fine flier. Also adding a video of the New Air Hogs EDF. https://youtu.be/idx7N5uyNnE

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Since I can't seem to wait on the Guillow's F 15 to get here I decided to start a scratch built model. I am thinking about rebuilding either the A7 Corsair or the reduced to a 12 inch wing span Guillow's F14 Tomcat. I think that since Guillow's already has a F14 they might be more interested in the A7. The problem I had with the first prototypes is I tried and failed to make them EDFs.
WIDDOG

Postby NcGunny » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Widd how about one of the big FF Senators or a BA Cabin or Wakefield and make it like a 1 channel?
NcGunny

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Well Gunny I kind of been stuck for awhile. I've been really working on my RC flying. Also been reading a lot of RC Guillow's covertions. Really interesting posts lately. What snapped me out of it was I have two MIB Air Hogs F14's. I converted one of the F14's to an Orange Micro 3 ch V tail. I been having problems with my transmitter throttle control so I have not been able to test yet
I have a new transmitter on order from China.
WIDDOG

Next

Return to General Building Questions