Noob wanting to build an rc conversion

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Noob wanting to build an rc conversion

Postby THE KID » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Now that my s4c cout is almost done I am thinking about building an rc conversion. I have been flying a flyzone rtf kit and am getting pretty decent at it. Id really like to scratch build the old nieuport 28 18". However I have no idea what components work with what. Id probably only want it 3 channel for my first build. My question is, is there a source for a complete rig/package deal that I can throw into a plane (engine, servos, battery, receiver etc? Id really like to get the Guillows planes in the air. Thanks Jared
THE KID

Re: Noob wanting to build an rc conversion

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi Jared,

Just a thought but maybe you could build a Rubber Powered Free Flight.
WIDDOG

Postby PsyberPhlier » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:29 am

Jared,

Aerowerkes has a laser cut short kit...

Check this link out. Just about everything Guillows has, converted to RC in build format.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby T_om » Wed May 13, 2015 12:52 pm

WIDDOG wrote:Hi Jared,

Just a thought but maybe you could build a Rubber Powered Free Flight.

Just a thought, but that was not what he asked about. he asked about RC, not freeflight.

Tom
T_om

Postby David Lewis » Wed May 13, 2015 1:20 pm

I've found building and flying FF kits very helpful in succeeding with subsequent RC conversions. Also, the larger the airplane, the easier it will be to fly and the better it will fly, all other things equal.
Last edited by David Lewis on Fri May 15, 2015 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Lewis

Postby Brenda » Wed May 13, 2015 3:23 pm

PsyberPhlier wrote:Jared,

Aerowerkes has a laser cut short kit...

Check this link out. Just about everything Guillows has, converted to RC in build format.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861

Ted

I'll 2nd the Aerowerkes comment. Better wood for better R/C flying. Hardwood in key spots. I've made a few with hardwood stringers.
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Wed May 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Hey Kid,

Don't know much about RC stuff but just flew my 100 series SE5 on a small rubber motor. They seem very small for me to believe they would be good for RC for a newbie. I believe a better kit would be the 200 series Nieport 11. A nice electric motor would fit under that plastic cowling very well and you will have more room (still tight) for your RC stuff. Also if things break and you need spare parts you can get what you need since kit is in production.

The short kits from DPC will have no plastic cowlings. All balsa build up, I do not believe would be good for a newbie as you say you are.

That's my 2 cents... Mitch
Mitch

Postby SpiceMan » Sun May 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Greeting Jared,

I completed a Guillow's Bird Dog ( 18" wing span ) RC conversion in January of this year. For the motor / electronics, I used the guts out of a HobbyZone Champ. This plane was the smallest that I had attempted, but turns out that she flies quite well, with plenty of power to spare.

What I did was, I ordered the "Fuselage with Electronics: Champ (HBZ4952)" from HorizonHobby.com, at a cost of about $50, and carefully removed the motor and receiver / servo board. Pushrods were even included, and I used them also. This set-up might be worth considering for your build, but keep in mind that it will require a "Spektrum" brand transmitter to fly it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck on your project. :)
SpiceMan

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:22 am

Like I said before.. If I could turn back time; I would build some "made to be RC" kits first. Then take on the challenge of conversion. I recently got this kit and it solved a problem I've been trying to figure out for years. How to make a one piece removeable wing. And now I know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:57 am

I have taken David's advice and have been on hiatus from building Guillow's kits. I decided to learn to actually fly 4 ch rc before I even thought about converting a Guillow's kit. The model plane I had the most success with is the Horizon Sport Cub S. Written on the box and rightfully so it says. "Teach Yourself To Fly". Anyway the Horizon Sport Cub S has the AS3X onboard electric control adjusters. It really helps stabilizes the aircraft in windy conditions. As we know it does not take much wind to mess with the smaller models. Anyway I was wondering how the AS3X system may benefit Guillow's conversions. BTW I am also a Noob at RC conversions.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Sorry I don't like my last post I will try to correct myself. I meant to say was that I took advice to learn to actually fly RC airplanes before I tried to convert a FF to a RC aircraft. I am using a Foamie Horizon Sport Cub S Park Flyer to teach myself. I have heard that the larger trainers are probably better to learn to fly RC. I personally like the Park Flyer sized planes. I like the technology that Horizon is putting into Park Flyer size models. Mainly I am asking if the AS3X technology might work in a FF to RC conversion. BTW although I don't know much about converting RC airplanes I do enjoy reading where other members have done this.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:47 pm

I wanted to update my status from RC Noob to 4 ch RC intermediate. I worked with the computer simulator and than the Horizon Sport Cub S "Teach Yourself To Fly". I in the past had started with a trainer, however it was too large to fly in a park. Also I never really did get my first trainer flying. The Horizon Sport Cub S comes fully built and ready to fly. I learned to fly with my Horizon Cub and have worked my way up to flying my Horizon 4 ch warbirds. i.e. The UMX F4U Corsair. Even though I really like flying RC I am going to order a Guillow's 900 Series kit and built it rubber FF.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:35 pm

David Lewis wrote:I've found building and flying FF kits very helpful in succeeding with subsequent RC conversions. Also, the larger the airplane, the easier it will be to fly and the better it will fly, all other things equal.
Good advice, especially along the lines that it pushes an individual to learn the importance of a straight airframe that will fly well on it's own, as well as the importance of all the various settings.

My C150 was one of my earlier conversions, that went from unflyable to being a very good flyer, due to a few degrees of incidence mismatch and rudder misalignment. The problem was compounded by the direction of the misalignments. Had they each been misaligned in the opposite directions so to speak, it probably would have been flyable. Excess positive right wing panel incidence, with a rudder misaligned to favor right hand turning is a horrible situation when combined with prop torque, causing a sidewinder. It's those little details that we learn to appreciate with experience.

In performing numerous Guillows conversions over the years, my first concern is the airframe, far ahead of the gear. It's not that the gear isn't important, but that there are numerous combinations that will work well, if reasonably well selected. Gear placement on the other hand is very important. It takes a number of builds of various types, before a builder can pretty much hit the c/g dead on, with no ballast. I cringe at adding more than a few grams of wasteful ballast. Any good conversion should trim easily and fly well for considerable distances, with no control inputs. That took a while to achieve. I basically look at a good r/c conversion as a free flight electric, where you also have the ability to give it control inputs. They're not enjoyable, when you're struggling to keep them in the air.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions