New Member Questions

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

New Member Questions

Postby old kid » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 am

Hello from a new member. My user name reflects my building of Guillow's models at the age of 10 and again at 30. That was some time ago. Now I am attempting to build the Guillow,s P-40 Warhawk. I would like to build it as a freeflight electric powered craft. In the past I tried to build a Forke Wolfe and a P-51. The Forke Wolfe was a total failure. The P-51 was a .020 Pee Wee gas powered free flight aircraft as was the Forke Wolfe. The P-51 was not a total failure but I had many hurdles to jump.

I have not started the P-40 (405 LC) yet as I want to find out what lay's ahead, things I must do to make this venture a success. I hope this forum can help. I worked as a machine shop inspector for 15 years prior to my retirement so I am very comfortable with blueprints. My history with gas powered free flight is not good. The first flight (fully painted and with landing gear) resulted with the plane going straight up at a high rate of speed and then straight down at a greater speed. The landing was rough to say the least. My second try with a P-51 ( no frills or paint) was somewhat better but with many bad encounters with the ground. I did finally have a very good flight but something happened on landing and it never gained altitude again. I could not figure it out. Then I finished college and my model building days ended.

So now I ask for guidance, all suggestions welcome. But first I have to ask what is "wing washout"? I have read many posts on this forum and I see that term used often.....old kid
old kid

Re: New Member Questions

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 am

Building and Flying Indoor Model Airplanes by Ron Williams " Many model airplanes, especially hand-launched gliders, employ a warp in both wing tips known as wash-out. This warp is bent or carved into the tip so that the trailing edge is higher than the leading edge. This wash-out serves to keep the aircraft on its heading during a stall. i.e. spinning.
WIDDOG

Postby andywhitam » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Do you already have the electric motor and everything else that is needed for electric flight?
Have you ever built or flown with electric power?
The building of this kit is the same as the other 400 series kits you have built except if you have purchased a recently manufactured kit you will find it is laser cut making the task a little easier.
I built mine as a rubber free flight model and had to add nose weight to get it to fly but you should not have to do this with the use of an electric motor. Just take your time and build it straight.
After you get it covered and all the component installed be sure and do many test glides in tall grass. This will let you know if the plane is going to stall , dive or bank off to one side. Once you have a consistent level glide set your timer for the shortest run time possible turn on the motor and give it a light straight forward toss. Then continue taking longer flight until you are happy with the performance.
Be sure the model balances exactly where the plans indicate it should balance for free flight operation.
andywhitam

Postby old kid » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:18 pm

After my previous (1st) post I was asked if I had a motor and related items needed for the R/C conversion for a Guillow's P-40 Warhawk No. 405 yet. At that time I did not. A trip to the hobby shop was in order which I did today. Being brand new made me feel uncomfortable when I took the sales person advice on what I needed. I did some research but I knew I was not up to par. Well what I got is a Spektrum DX5e controller with a AR610 receiver and 3 Postion Flight Mode Switch. For the motor I purchased a Park 300 Brushless Outrunner by E-flight. The battery is also by E-flight 20C Lithium Polymer. The speed controller also an E-flight, 10 Amp Pro Brushless ESC with advanced Programming and BSC.

I know I need a few other Items but I hope I am on track so far. old kid
old kid

Postby David Lewis » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Your first post indicated you intend to build a free flight electric powered model but your last post lists R/C equipment. Either way, the larger the model, the easier it's going to be, and a scale model will present more challenges for a beginner than a trainer or sport model will.
Last edited by David Lewis on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Lewis

Postby old kid » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:31 am

Yes I did indicate my desire to start with electric power free flight. However it was pointed out to me that I would need a speed controller and of course a receiver for control which was cause for the controller. In the past with gas power I had much problem with too much airflow over the wings so the speed controller made sense. My goal is still the same once the proper speed is found that will remain fixed as will rudder adjustment. My hope is that as I gain experience I can expand my abilities to use more of the R/C capabilities. Thank you for your response. old kid
old kid

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:19 pm

I found a youtube about electric FF.https://youtu.be/fuNDJblQKTs I actually have a electric timer that controls motor run time and motor throttle or thrust. The problem I have is getting the right battery, motor and propeller combinations. Since I am a rubber power modeler it is much easer to determine proper set up with a rubber motor.
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Mon May 04, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi Old Kid,

I have built ALL the 400 series and flown them ALL on rubber. I am in the FAC and for the first time I was with my local club at our local field this past Sunday. Another gentleman had a model with an electric motor and timer... I do not know much about that... But his timer ran for 15 seconds instead of 10... his plane was up and up and up...

Finally settled in and drifted downwind and ended up 50 feet high in a tree! :x

My suggestion to you if you are new... work with the rubber motors... I have never lost a model yet! :D

I am able to get short flight from everything in the kit... For longer flights I am going with Tan Rubber (and more of it), and a bigger prop (9" Peck Prop).

My suggestion is build for rubber to gain experience then go to electric power if you want. I will be making minor adjustments to my 400 Focke-Wulf and plan for flights next Sunday. I will also plan to trim out and test fly my latest 400 Me-109 I plan to fly in an upcoming FAC contest.

Mitch, FAC (Flying Aces Club), Eagle Squadron (Seattle Area)
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions