504 Spitfire

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: 504 Spitfire

Postby MMitch2782 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Here he is parked in my kitchen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MMitch2782

Postby heywooood » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:32 pm

Beautiful work - Have you seen the film Dark Blue World?
Features Czech pilots in the Battle..great Spitfire footage and a decent story line
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby MMitch2782 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks. Not seen movie. Love the BoB air war and am thinking of building the Bf 109 as a bookend set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MMitch2782

Postby davidchoate » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:01 am

Like David Lewis Sais "surface area" and width make srtrenghth where adhesive bonding is used. I have adapted the lamination method to lighten the tail heavy problem. it is not as hard to do as it looks. I also have rewcently started to reap the benefits of Alphetic Resin.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:10 am

Example of laminated tail parts
davidchoate

Postby sandman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:43 pm

This is a great subject pedwards, I love the spitty. I haven't flown my latest 504 but it weighs 18.5g without motor and prop. I think the plastic cowl should balance it within range since built up a permanent nose. My first weighed in at 29g AUW with landing gear and all Guillows wood and hardware. Rise off ground was awesome but the plane has been retired. I am looking forward to seeing how these low wing planes fly without advantage of landing gear to help lower the center of gravity so I left it off on my latest one. I used silkspan to keep things light and strong. Good luck in the paint shop.
sandman

Postby davidchoate » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Believe it or not, surprisingly, they Fly well ! I made the T-34 Red and white Low wing trainer. I expected it to drop like a bar of lead cause I painted and detailed it, but it was onme of My mostr sucessful Rubber motor Planes . I do not do many, but have done almost all the ones that are supposed to be Rubber. Like the Javelin, etc. The Bird Dog 900 was My best Rubber powered flyer. So much so that I am currently making a 40" WS Dumas RC One. The ones like The Javelin surprisingly did not Fly as I expected. I am no Rubber expert, Dihedral, by its very nature, must decrease lift the more You add. I'm no David Lewis, but even I can figure that out. I did a second Javelin, lowewred the dihedral on the Polyhedral wing, changed the tail/wing Decolage(added shims on parts I may want to adjust), used My own balsa from LHS, and a FAI size rubber, and prop with help from Mitch, and it did MUCH better. Than I joined a Club, and they're all RC, or Quadcopter Guys, and have not really messed with rubber power lately. But the newer Laser Cut wood is a big help in weight. As for your weights; I only dream of getting one with kit wood, and tail design that light. Oh, and not just the Bird Dog, but all the Cessna Guillows seem to do well. I think it is their Wing shape. But thats just My guess. If anyone knows why they do Fly well compared to similar Planes, plkease tell Me. Sadly if I choose to do a Rubber powered Plane, and I was seriously competing, it would not be a Guillows. But for some reason I Love their kits. Maybe cause It is how I got My start into the Hobby. They do not advertise much in periodicals, but they are in every Hobby store I go in. I remember the 50 cent stick ones in a bag. They Fly awesome too! Even RC conversion is a simple task on them. Anyway, good luck, and I wish I could see the photos, but apparently there are problems here as I have seen other recent posts about the same thing.
davidchoate

Postby pedwards2932 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:05 pm

I was using Chrome and couldn't see any of the pictures I just opened the forum in Edge (internet explorer) and now I can see the pictures. I am working on using an eclips cutting machine to cut out balsa parts and haven't had time to try to fly my Spit......I had used clay in the spinner to balance it and I think it needs just a bit more weight. We'll see once the weather gets better.
pedwards2932

Previous

Return to General Building Questions