Wid's Kit 905 Mustang Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Wid's Kit 905 Mustang Build

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:30 pm

I ordered my model online from Guillow's. It arrived today via Priority mail super fast ! It was packaged very well. Like always as far as Guillow's online goes I rate them as excellent.

The density of the kit wood falls within the medium grade of Balsa Wood. The wood is very consistent . Considering the price of the entire kit I am very happy with the wood. This is the second 900 series kit in a row I received with "Good" wood.

One thing I noticed about the kit is they are still putting the Guillow's 5 inch diameter propellers in the kit. Most model builders would recommend the Guillow's 6 inch diameter propeller. Awhile back I tested the 6" vs 5" Guillow's propeller. The 6 inch diameter Guillow's propeller definitely worked better. i.e. longer flight times. Note I think that a Peck Polymer 7 inch works the best.

I have an old Guillow's Catalog. ( Has the B 29) Anyway there is a write up on " Have A Problem Obtaining Model Airplane Dope ? " I understand with the internet nobody should have a problem obtaining Airplane Dope. I can obtain Dope I just like using white glue better. Anyway just a suggestion but I would put that write up on the uses of white glue back into the kits.
WIDDOG

Re: Wid's Kit 905 Mustang Build

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:56 am

I have been working with 900 Series kits for awhile now. I know that the instruction sheet recommends about 36" of 3/32 " rubber. I think that is "Old School" rubber. IMHO ( In My Humble Opinion) I think that with the new style of rubber that I would recommend 50" of 1/8" rubber at two loops or 4 strands. I flew a 900 series kit this morning and I noticed something interesting. I always have built a removable nose cowling. This made testing different rubber motors easer. Anyway I noticed today that with 1/8 inch thick rubber there was no need to have a removable nose cowling. The hole for the Guillow's thrust button was large enough for the wound motor to easily fit through. See page 24 of the booklet "How To Build and Fly A Balsa Model Airplane. "

I am so sure of this that i'm going to build the nose cowling of my Mustang per the Guillow's instruction. I will still be able to use my rubber motor winder, stooge and stretch wind. IMHO with a 1/8 inch thick rubber motor that it is not necessary to build a removable nose cowling. Note i do not use a "Blast Tube". I go by turn count, feel and looks to determine max winds.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:10 pm

Here is a pic of the rough framing done on the model. Once again the wood that came with this particular kit was all "Good" wood. I can't put into words how much fun these kits are to build when they come with "Good" wood. I hope Guillow's continues to use quality wood on the 900 series kits.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Not finished quite yet... Just wanted to move the Topic Board.

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:17 pm

Looks nice and ready to go. Hopefully you'll have a nice flyer with this one.
I've always wanted to build another one of these. Built one years ago, with chrome Monokote covering. Looked really nice, but far too heavy for rubber flight with the covering weight!
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:48 am

Thanks for posting Bill, Do you happen to have an old photo of that Mustang? I watch the Modelers Photo's on the Guillow's website. I think another member built and covered with the metal tissue. If I remember correctly his model looked awesome.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 pm

You can barely see my P51 with the yellow/red nose hanging in the upper right of this photo from years ago. There's a larger House of Balsa chrome P51 hanging below it. My dentist has the Guillow's P51 now, so I can't take another. I wish I did have another photo, since it looked really good with the chrome covering. There's about twice as many planes now hanging in the same space lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby 1778ppr » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Wid, you are an airplane building machine! Your F-51 looks good. It seems every time I log in here you have another plane built and flying. I like your builds and videos. Good job. I'm still working on my Bird Dog for more than a year. I hope to enter it in this years G challenge.

Take care, John
1778ppr

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:27 pm

1778ppr wrote:Wid, you are an airplane building machine!

Its been a few years now since I restarted this hobby. I went through a experimental stage. I even experimented with home made Jetex fuel. Since flying experiments and not so much looks where my modeling goal. I used to slap my models together kind of quickly. I went through a Balsa Sheet Model stage. I really learned quite a bit in this stage. One thing I learned from my Balsa Sheet models was that it doesn't really take a lot of time to make a flying model. https://youtu.be/Uu56PB6V1lY

Do to my flying field being small I decided to go into a Peanut Scale stage. I kind of regret that stage. The Peanut models crash so easily.

Anyway I am now back to Walnut size under 24 inch wing span models. I am just now starting to work on improving my models appearances. When I restarted the hobby I was told to build build build and fly fly fly.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Today I tried to trim the Mustang with a 7 inch prop. IMHO a 7 inch prop is too large for these 900 series kits. The 7 inch prop "waged the dog." or in other words caused to model to backspin I guess against the torch of the prop. Next time I will try a 6 inch prop.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:31 am

Kind of a sad ending for a mediocre Build. Bad launch on my part. Straight into the ground at full power.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Earlier on this post I made a comment that IMHO I think that a 6 inch diameter propeller works better on the 900's kit's. I think a 7 inch propeller would work better on the Typhoon. ( The Typhoon has an 18" ws vs the Trojan 16" ws.) When I did the math I got 6.8 inch diameter propeller. I tried a 7 inch propeller on this Mustang and got poor results. I had videoed a flight with my Skyraider about two years ago. I had a six inch diameter propeller. https://youtu.be/CNGdBjQntbM. I am nowhere near saying a 6 inch prop is better on a 900 series kit it is just My Humble Opinion. I personally had problems with too much trust at the initial burst of rubber motor power. The model seemed to want to spin in the opposite direction.

I used to like to experiment and here is a experiment with the same model with a 7",6" and 5" propeller.https://youtu.be/AX-E4HWCPyI LOL I guess it didn't turn out very well but at least it moved the big topic board.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:07 am

I noticed on the plans sheet, for my Gu 5011 kit 20" ws model, that the designer recommends a 6" propeller. I found this very interesting. Because, I feel that this is a very similar model to the 900 series kits. If a 6" propeller is recommended for a 20" ws 900 series-ish model than maybe there is something to this 6" propeller for 900 series kits. Also the 900 series kits come with (catalog says effective rubber motor/propeller combinations) a 5" propeller. I did some tests with the Guillow's D5" and D6" propeller. There is no doubts in my mind at least that the D6" worked better, with 900 Series kits, than the D5'.
WIDDOG

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:40 am

Wid,

The best rule of thumb in that size range is 1/3 the wingspan for prop size. So a 7" prop for the 20" WS and a 6" prop for the 17" or 18" models. It's usually better to err on the side of larger than smaller. I hope this helps.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Return to General Building Questions