New Guy with Thomas Morse Scout

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: New Guy with Thomas Morse Scout

Postby THE KID » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Hellcat Looks great! That is pretty much what Id like to accomplish for the lozenge camouflage. I need to get good at that. Here is some progress on the scout. Going to make or find a decent scale propeller. I have no intentions for rubber or any other kind of flight for this one. I think I'm going to build my SE5 after this one to keep it company. Thanks Jared
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
THE KID

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:16 pm

The Scout looks great! The lozenge was not really difficult, just time consuming. And that is why I chose a regular hexagon pattern. I made a template from manila cardstock and cut out several at a time. When I had a sufficient amount I applied them. They model was covered with the first color and doped, then I made a watered down mixture of white glue and applied the hexes. when all covered I applied another coat of dope. So my 4 color lozenge is made up of 3 colors placed on a solid first color.

Simple...but it took some time.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Looks nice. Almost tempting to try the biplanes out as monoplanes lol. I built the SE5a and flew it as an rc conversion, and thought it looked interesting with only the bottom wing. Reminded me of a Fokker V.23. The Sopwith looks even more interesting as a monoplane.
For props, I've reshaped/refinished the wooden Zinger props that the hobby shop sells. They're inexpensive also. The Camel flies with one, using an electric motor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby THE KID » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Wow those look great. My next one Im going to try my hand at an rc conversion. I was thinking about it before I started this one but figured I should build one for practice first. Its been a little while. Plus I have been practicing with my little rtf planes (when there isn't gale force winds out) so I don't blow 30 hours of work up in 6 seconds haha. Thanks Jared
THE KID

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:13 am

The SE5a flies well as a 3ch rc conversion. The Camel actually is one of my favorites on 4ch with 4 ailerons, but almost had one of those "6 second" :D incidents that you referred to. Flew really well on the maiden, but was underpowered. Plane was quite stable doing numerous loops and rolls. Changed to a more powerful motor and discovered on the second flight that with more power, it would enter an almost unrecoverable rapid roll situation when full throttle was hit. Not exactly an aerodynamic term, but "wig out" would describe the situation pretty well. Got lucky to save it and never did determine exactly what happened, other than it flies fine up to a specific throttle level.
Bill Gaylord

Previous

Return to General Building Questions