B-29 on EBAY... if you have the dough.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: B-29 on EBAY... if you have the dough.

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Saw that one, has bashed clear plastics.
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 pm

PsyberPhlier wrote:Saw that one, has bashed clear plastics.

Looks like the kit got hot, looking at the semi-clear discoloration and glossy appearance of the white molded parts. Given that the molded parts are much of the attraction to this kit, it does decrease the value substantially IMO. Without the molded parts in good condition, I'd rather just scratch build. Tube fuses are easy to construct. I've thought of ordering 4 Hellcat cowls from the small kit, for a scratch build.
Bill Gaylord

Postby BillParker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:33 am

It all depends on what you think it's worth...

I got lucky and found one on ebay where the guy had mis listed it as a plastic model. Nobuddy saw it but me, and I got it for 70 bucks total freight included.

Another guy recently started one at 450.00 and finally sold it six weeks later at around 250...

It's only worth what somebuddy is willing to pay at the moment...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Yeah you really lucked out on that one Bill. I've noticed a number of those mis-listings, since I started looking for them. For example, I now just search terms like "Sterling Balsa" from the top level, for Sterling kits. For whatever reason Ebay will not show you show you them, if you search in the sub-categories, even with accurate search terms.

I think the vintage kit prices will really start to fall soon, and already have significantly over the past few years. It's become apparent that the number of these kits available will continue to increase as they are sold in estate sales, and the number of people wanting them is becoming fewer by the day. People realize that it's simply an issue where if we all stand and line and wait our turn, we can all have one at a reasonable price. I've literally watched people stop competing for a number of collectible kits on Ebay, where as a community they seemed to have in terms of collective consciousness set the price far lower than just a few years ago. They know they can all have one for less, with a bit of patience.
Bill Gaylord

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:54 pm

I think what I get the biggest kick out of, using the b-29 as a great example, is that when the seller starts the auction at say 300 bucks, 6 days later there's no bids.

BUT.

When they start it a .99 cents... 6 days later, they're bidding $297... When the smart sellers are holding an auction, I like to bid 50 bucks or so, just so I can say I'm in... For a minute...

bp
BillParker

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:06 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/guillows-balsa-airplane-model-lot-c-/131484906222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9d1c72ee

172.50 current bid.

this is for 3 kits.

B-17
B-24
B-29

Sumbuddy's gettin' lucky!

bp
BillParker

Postby Mitch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 pm

That is so absurd...(the 400+ price) I have a B-17 on my shelf that I will build someday (I think I got it for about 50 dollars)... I bought a Catalina for 25 dollars recently... Why does everyone lust for a kit that is out of production... There are so many kits I still have to build...

Mitch... Keep building, stay happy and buy what is in the store!
Mitch

Postby BillParker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Now the three kits are at 300 bucks.

Keep in mind if you decide to play in the game, that the 17 and the 24 are ONLY worth $77.00 each at A/C Supply, brand spanking new, and they'll pay the freight.
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions