Kit #902 O-1E Bird Dog Build / RC Conversion

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Kit #902 O-1E Bird Dog Build / RC Conversion

Postby T_om » Wed May 13, 2015 12:43 pm

dirk gently wrote:I disliked that too, when I used to do it with a knife. So i made a notch-cutter. I took a piece of the hardest 2mm balsa I could find, and using double-sided tape I secured a thin slice of medium-grain sandpaper to the edge (with the small Guillows you would have to use 1.5mm balsa). Now I just sand the notches out, easy and precise.

I went a bit further.

My notcher is a thin piece of hardwood (usually a piece of a free paint stir stick from Lowe's) surfaced to the thickness of the notch I want. I put a light coat of epoxy on the edge (just the edge, nowhere else) of the stick and pour abrasive grit into the epoxy.

When it hardens you have a stick with an abrasive edge that is permanent, at least permanent when used with balsa, and will notch balsa with one swipe. 80 grit or 60 grit is a useful grit size. I have had mine so long I forgot where I bought them (I have a few bottles of different grits) but I think I got them at Woodcraft.

Tom
T_om

Re: Kit #902 O-1E Bird Dog Build / RC Conversion

Postby SpiceMan » Sun May 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi Ted,

Your post quickly caught my eye, since as you know, I completed a Bird Dog RC conversion back in January.

Your build is looking GREAT :!: :!: :!: Keep up the good work, 8) and keep the pics coming too. I'll be checking in periodically to watch your progress, and read your report about how well she flies. :)
SpiceMan

Previous

Return to General Building Questions