Guillows Petition: PLEASE BRING BACK THE B-29

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

BRING BACK THE B-29?

YES
83%
NO
17%

Total votes : 18

Guillows Petition: PLEASE BRING BACK THE B-29

Postby PsyberPhlier » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:52 am

Cmon guys, lets start a movement to bring back the B-29!

It is unfortunate that Guillows stopped producing this beautiful kit just before RC equipment was small, and powerful enough to convert this big war bird. We all know that a few have been converted but to keep this alive we are forced to pay exorbitant prices on ebay for often incomplete or damaged kits, when and if they are available. There is always a chance we find another builder who has a kit socked away for a rainy day, but even that is rare anymore.

So,

CMON GUILLOWS, PLEASE BRING BACK THE B-29!

Throw your name onto the list guys, it could happen. lol.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Re: Guillows Petition: PLEASE BRING BACK THE B-29

Postby Brenda » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:58 am

Ya know, I can make a file for them to use on laser cutter. All they would have to do is plug it into machine and start cutting. Methinks there should be more laser cut everything!
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 am

Here are my thoughts... of course I would like to see the kit in production, but I would not hold your breath waiting for Guillow's to re-release the kit.

Guillow's made the decision to stop production and I believe they are the best informed to understand the market. We here are a select few. Also fewer modelers actually fly the planes. Before this comes back I would like to see the P-39 800 series, but do not expect that either.

Plastic models companies do re-release from time to time so I do believe there is hope. To simply make the kit in laser cut may not be as easy as we think. Guillow's started the process for the 500 series, 1000 series and the 2000 P-38. That was over a year ago... still no word on that.

My question to you is how many have built the B-17 while wanting the B-29? Why do we always want what we can not have? I would say enjoy what is available, support your LHS, and build the B-17... I have the B-17 and the B-25, and the Catalina... They are in my closet, that is enough for me for now.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby PsyberPhlier » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 am

Yup Mitch, I did build the B-17 as an uncovered display. I have it on the list to build again, converted to RC.

Not holding breath... lol more like begging at the very slim chance of a re-release.

Maybe, if enough of us chime in, something could happen...

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby gordonfan24 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:38 pm

I'd buy 3 at the very least.
"If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."
gordonfan24

Postby PsyberPhlier » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Heck, I am also good for at least 2. One to replace the one I will undoubtedly auger in... lol

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby twospruces » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 pm

I would think that Guillows could offer these shorter run models via mail order only. These days, they don't need a distributor channel quite so much. A boutique outlet managed directly by them might be a reasonable way to make some dollars and satisfy that smaller niche (but higher priced). I'd argue that people would pay a premium to obtain these models that have been discontinued.

But I'm also sure that has been considered by the pros in the office!
twospruces

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:54 pm

They would sell enough to make it worth their while, especially considering that they have all the tooling. The point of them discontinuing the kit right before electric/lipo caught on is valid. With the practicality of r/c conversion, they would sell a reasonable number. There really isn't much in the size range, and $125 would be well within a reasonable price range, where they should be able to turn a profit. I also could see the Aircobra offered in the 400 series as profitable. The same holds true for it, in that there is no current competition in the size range.
Bill Gaylord

Postby David Lewis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:33 am

One of the stumbling blocks with the B-29 and P-39, etc. could be that the younger generations now tend to be less familiar with, or less interested in, these aircraft than model enthusiasts were in the old days.
David Lewis

Postby BillParker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:45 am

Every couple of years we have this conversation. It is an important conversation, so please don't misunderstand my point...

Some years back Howard (aka Kittyfritters) shared an insider's look at the economics of kit manufacturing (specifically Guillow's) that was quite enlightening.

Howard, could you copy and paste that bit here for us? I've search everyway I can think of, but no joy...

Thanx!

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Mitch » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi Fellow builders<

As far as the P-39 goes... I was confused why it is by itself in the 800 series. I had the kit for many years in my closet... I opened it up last year. Although it say 1/12 scale on the box cover that is incorrect. It is 1/16 scale just like the 400 and 1000 series. The plans say 1/16 scale... I did the math, it is 1/16 scale. The ws is right in line with the 400 series models. The detail of the kit is right in line with the 1000 series. They are all 1/16 scale. I believe Guillow figured since the ws is what it is, it would not be comparable in the 1000 series. Therefore they put it in the 800 series, super detailed kits. If anyone sees one on ebay at a reasonable price I would say buy it. It is one of the nicest kits Guillow's ever made! It has decals for American and Russian markings.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Brenda » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:56 pm

I like my Bell P-39. Mine has Cox TeeDee on it for ukie

Brenda

Postby BillParker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:19 pm

I wasn't lucky enuff to get one the kits, but I did get my hands on the plan...

80"

bp
BillParker

Postby SteveM » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Here are a few threads that may help shed some light on the issue.

http://www.balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewto ... f=2&t=1537
http://www.balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewto ... f=2&t=1479
http://www.balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewto ... f=2&t=1347

Personally I find the B-29 ugly and the B-17 far better looking and with a richer war service record.
SteveM

Postby BillParker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Well done, Steve, thank you...

bp
BillParker

Next

Return to General Building Questions