problem with P-51 kit #402

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

problem with P-51 kit #402

Postby woundedbear » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:39 am

I am building a P-51 kit #402, and I am having problems installing the stringers to the bottom rear of the fuselage can anyone help? Some pictures of a uncovered P-51 frame showing the rear area, back of the under wing radiator intake scoop, it would help a lot. And as always thank you for your time and knowledge regards from the woundedbear
woundedbear

Re: problem with P-51 kit #402

Postby gordonfan24 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:24 pm

Just scroll down to the P-51 and have a gander at the various builds. I found some promising images that may help your efforts on the third build down >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumbgallery.php?t=887977&do=threadgallery&type=img&group=none&starter=no
"If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."
gordonfan24

Postby Mitch » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:21 pm

I think I know what you are talking about. The scoop has curved stringers. I do a few of the following tricks:

1. look for stingers that are soft and easy to bend
2. failing that you can soak the wood you choose in water and let it get more pliable.
3. You will need to clamp these in place as the glue dries.

I use white glue and you can glue together wet wood. Just clamp and let dry.

If it is further back you are referring to, just study the plans. Lay in stringers dry and see how they line up. I have a couple of P-51's but they are covered. Sometimes I start laying in stringers and realize later they were suppose to stop earlier or something. I do not think it is absolute they have to go a certain way. Just lay them in to get a nice shape and follow the notches. Sometimes a stinger will end and butt up against another or the frame.

I hope that helps. Mitch
Mitch

Postby BillParker » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:02 pm

These might help some:

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby woundedbear » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 am

Hello guys thanks for the help. Mr Bill how do you enlarge the plans for your supper builds ! ? I was thinking about buying a pantograph off e bay, and trying it that way I don't plan on going as large as you but, a 400 series kit would be nice to double size. That would make a P-51 (kit # 402 ) come out to a 55 and 1/2 inch wing span. That would give room for a 6 channel receiver, " which I have ", then I could have flaps, and retracts. Yes I know, I ordering a fomey from China with all this but, there's something about building a air plane myself that...Well you guys know what I mean. As always thanks for your advice and time... regards from the woundedbear "Oh Yeah !" any of you folks know when Guillow's is going to come out with the 500 series kits in laser cut ? I think Guillow's is dragging their feet when it comes to converting all of their kits over to laser cutting. And while I'm up here on my soap box, I would to like to see Guillow's make a De Havilland Hornet kit, that would be a good addition to the 2000 series. I had always though the P-51, and Spitfire Mk.22-24 were the most beautiful aircraft of WW II, I had never heard of the Hornet until I saw a plastic model on e bay. Well I bought one, and started looking for a balsa kit. I Found one an English web site but the two guys who were going to market it as a, "1/16th scale laser cut kit" went out of business. So this has become an obsession of mine, and now a call to arms from this form, we have been with out a chance to build this forgotten relic of military aviation history long enough !!!
woundedbear

Postby BillParker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:05 am

First, you have to get your plans blown.

Cut your plan into 8.5 by 11 inch sections, and scan each section front and back at 216 dpi. (any larger is ridiculous) Then, using

http://www.thecastle.com/software.html
The Castle's Split Image Software

cut each scan 3 by 3 or into 9 sections. Then the images will need to be printed, then the individual printed copies will be re-assembled, much like a jigsaw puzzle. Be sure to have plenty of clear tape on hand. I've found that a paper cutter comes in very handy, but a pair of scissors will get the job done for trimming the individual images as needed to make them fit your puzzle/plan. HINT: Cut each printed image on the top and left sde only. You may choose to print the images on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper in either portrait or landscape. This will affect the finished size of your plan and your finished airplane. If you have a printer that will handle it, you may also choose to print your plan on 11 by 17 inch paper, again in either portrait or landscape.

BillParker

Postby SteveM » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:21 pm

I did an RC conversion with mine, but the stringers are all in their stock locations. You may be able to make out some details from these photos.
SteveM

Postby BillParker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:41 pm

Hey Steve! Long time!

bp
BillParker

Postby davidchoate » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:21 pm

i HAD PROBLEMS WITH WARPING ON mY RADIATOR SCOOP.
davidchoate

Postby David Lewis » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Another way to enlarge plans is to convert them to a CAD file first. Then you can make the drawings any size you want with no loss of resolution or accuracy. To do this, I import a scanned image of the plans into AutoCAD and trace over it. I also overlay a CAD drawing of the full size three-view to check scale fidelity.
David Lewis

Return to General Building Questions