"Smooth look to fuselage and wings"

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

"Smooth look to fuselage and wings"

Postby DRhoads » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:34 am

I have two questions of my fellow kit builders. I am a pretty good kit builder, but have noticed occasional photos of planes in the “modeler’s photos” section that show REALLY smooth surfaces on fuselage and wing constructions. I.e. underlying formers and stringers totally invisible. I added twice as many stringers to both fuselage and wing in an effort to create a “smoother” look to my last build (the Spitfire). Succeeded to good extent. But, a few of you folks must have some secrets to do this REALLY well. Would you share with me?
Also, where can one purchase scaled “pilots” for use in some of the plane kits that don’t include pilots? Would like to do this but haven’t been successful in finding them. Does Guillow offer such a thing? Someone else? THANKS for any help on this.
DRhoads

Re: "Smooth look to fuselage and wings"

Postby BillParker » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:47 am

The short version is either sheet your model with 1/32" balsa, or infill with chunks of 3/32 balsa. Then sand and fill till you just can't bear to live anymore, then cover with tissue, dope and prime and sand some more, and prime and sand, till you die again, then paint it.

But if you want to fly the plane don't do any of that.

Infill: (Mitch's Rufe)

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby BillParker » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:50 am

Guillows Series 2000 - B-29 Super Fortress by julinick. Completely infilled...

BillParker

Postby Mitch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 am

Actually the first picture is my Zero Trainer 2 seater, not the Rufe, you can see the extended canopy, and the second instrument panel.

That's about what I was going to say and here is the new FW with B1 to B2 filled in:

There is one more step I will do to this process... Because there are still very slight depressions at some of the longrones and keels, and that is cover the entire area with hobby balsa filler, then sand to a baby bottom smooth finish.

The Zero was done and I will still work on the FW. I do mine for reinforcement of the front end for flying, but like the benefit of have a smooth cowling look.

As far as Pilots go if you are building the 400 series they are all 1/16 scale. you can use the 1000 series pilot or the pilot from the 800 Stearman. Most of my models are in 1/16 scale or close. Here is the 1000 series pilot in my 400 series Focke-Wulf.

For other scales you can find pilot heads from Easybuiltmodels or Williams Brothers.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby BillParker » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Pilot head?

BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Light 1/32" sheeting adds relatively low weight to these models, although it may be a bit heavy for rubber power. Since many need some forward weight, front fuse and wing leading edge sheeting could still be practical for a rubber flyer. Sheeting the forward most portion of the wings will eliminated much of the ribbing appearance, where it shows the most. This 3rd build of the Guillows FW190 is 11oz AUW as an rc flyer with retracts, being a good bit lighter than the 2 previous builds, shaving weight where possible. There's no best method for sheeting panels and it takes a while to get onto, but is probably faster than inset planking and also lighter than 1/16" sheet planks.

The Williams brothers 1/12 scale pilots are a reasonable fit, for a number of the Guillows kits in the approximate size range. They're a bit large for 1/16 scale, but not bad. Being a bit short, I often add a bit of torso using balsa, then hollowed out, blended in and painted. The plastic base is also cut away, to reduce weight. The 190 below has a Wal Mart action figure pilot head, with a balsa torso. The Guillow's pilots can always be purchases as replacement parts, and are some of the best when it comes to light weight. The DR1 pilot would probably be a good fit, for the 1/16 scale (3/4"=1') Guillows models.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby DRhoads » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Bill, Thanks for the great information! Will definitely be trying the sheeting method on my current build. Also, had forgotten that "pilots" can be purchased as replacement parts from Guillow. Thanks again!
DRhoads

Return to General Building Questions