safe non toxic paint for over top of clear butyrate

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

safe non toxic paint for over top of clear butyrate

Postby twospruces » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi, want to let my 5 year old paint up his creation. I put 2 thinned coats of clear butyrate dope down; letting it dry.

What would be a nice type of paint to get, for brushing on, that would adhere to the surface but not be fumy? It's still winter around here! have to stay indoors!
thanks.
twospruces

Re: safe non toxic paint for over top of clear butyrate

Postby Mitch » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:38 pm

I have never painted over dope before, but I am planning to do so very soon. I will be using Vallejo Watercolors. I will thin them down and use my airbrush. Stay tuned to my "Red 13" build and we will see how that works.

That model is now covered in 2 light coats and 1 heavy coat (as per instructions) of LustreKote. Made by Top Flite. It contains Toluene and Butyl-Acetate. I asked my LHS owner and he thinks there should be no problem with water colors. Since I will be airbrushing it will go on thin and dry quickly.

For you, another thing I would make sure of is that the paper is sealed well. Then brush on water colors.

That is my suggestion, it would be an experiment.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby andywhitam » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:11 am

I paint craft store acrylics over dope all the time. be sure the dope is completely dry. The paints cost any where from .99 to 1.09 a bottle.
andywhitam

Postby twospruces » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:53 pm

hi, thanks for the tips. I'll double check the acrylics but that sounds the ticket.
cheers-
twospruces

Postby Coloradoken » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:21 pm

2 coats of acrylic over base coat of sealer (I use foolproof dope) does a nice job if you don't worry about the weight. The acrylic is non-toxic, dries quickly and can be used indoors. Lots of colors available and is inexpensive.
Coloradoken

Postby cliffm » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:30 pm

All I've used on my last dozen or so kits is Wal-mart acrylics cheap and very non-toxic also cleans up with water very easily so you won't have to worry about those wondering brush strokes on furniture andf such,have fun.
cliffm

Postby Billy Mc » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:57 pm

If you want cheap paint, take this http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm and go to Hobby Lobby. You don't even have to print it if you have a smart phone. Take someone with you and they can get a second color for you.
Billy
Billy Mc

Return to General Building Questions