1004 ~ F4U-4 First RC Conversion Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

1004 ~ F4U-4 First RC Conversion Build

Postby gordonfan24 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:07 am

I got the kit today and read all the paperwork twice. I've looked at numerous threads and posts about this kit. I'm super excited to dive in but I decided to wade in instead. I worked on the plastic parts first. I cut out the bombs, cowl, canopy, various other pieces I think I'll use. I scored the parts and when I got them all out, I sanded them with 120 to get the flashing off. It worked better than I thought. I then moved on to the fuse. I'm not going any further than what I show until I get some advice in what to do to make this an excellent RC flyer. Even though this is my first build, I'm willing to take my time to do this kit it's justice. Here's a couple pics. Please let me know what I should do next.
Image Image
Last edited by gordonfan24 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."
gordonfan24

Re: 1004 ~ F4U-4 First RC Conversion Build

Postby H65 Driver » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:56 am

Looking forward to watching this build. If you haven't already, you should check out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861 for a lot of great techniques and tips on getting these Guillows kits to fly RC.
H65 Driver

Postby gordonfan24 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:19 am

Thank you for your reply and the link H65 Driver. I'll try to document this build as well as I've seen others done.
I'm setting my sights VERY high along with a specific goal in mind. Make it a stellar RC kit and don't crash it, :D Especially on it's maiden flight :shock: Although, I could seriously see me doing that, as I've never flown an RC plane before so I'm going to do my 403 Spit also while I'm building the Corsair and make it (Spit) the guinea pig air frame. It's now got all the tissue off of it (a cat and myself screwed that up) and I'm painstakingly removing every last little tidbit of tissue and glue. 6 hours or so into the removal and have a couple more to go. Just got a call for some work doing a power plant shutdown in Louisiana, so it looks like this will be put on hold for a month or so. I may take it or I may not, haven't decided yet.
gordonfan24

Postby Johnny ace » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:04 pm

I love corsairs, but not on your first rc plane.You need a high wing trainer, with tricycle landing gear.you need a club that offers training.they have a "buddy box"which is a transmitter hooked to yours by wires.that way the instructor can save your plane if you lose control.I've been there.good luck.
Johnny ace

Postby Mitch » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello and welcome...

I agree with Johnny Ace, I would say proceed with your build, but if you have not flown RC, you can purchase an inexpensive High Wing Trainer (RTF). I think all of us here love warbirds, but they fly like... well fighters. There are designed to be unstable because there are fighters. It will fly fast and be tricky to handle.

I will enjoy to watch your build. I hope you learn to fly before you get into the cockpit of that Corsair.

That's my 2 cents.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Brenda » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 pm

I built the very same one years ago. I used a Futaba "brown box" for R/C. The weight was way to much. It flew....much the same as a cannon ball can fly. Modern R/C stuff is MUCH lighter so it should work in theory. Problem is it's really tiny and once it gets more than 100 yards away you can't tell up from down on the little begger. On other builds I tried sky blue on the bottom and green on top so it would look scale. Problem with that is it's the same color as the sky. "Where did it go" became a common saying. If it's your very first R/C plane I hope your not going to spend much time or money in it as it will soon become balsa dust.

just my 2 cents
Brenda

Postby BillParker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Aw come on. I did it just exactly the same way. I bought and crashed a whole bunch of fighters before I bought a high wing plane and learned to fly.

No kidding. buy a trainer, man... (I did make a jet fly once for a couple of minutes... but it died too...)

:D

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby gordonfan24 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Point taken and I will absolutely heed the advice given. I am not so prideful as to jeopardize all my hard work without being qualified to crash it. :shock: More than anything, I;m just going to take my time and make a quality build. Something I can stand back and admire. Thank you all.
gordonfan24

Postby gordonfan24 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Where's the best place to get some 1/32" sheeting?
gordonfan24

Postby Brenda » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:39 am

gordonfan24 wrote:Where's the best place to get some 1/32" sheeting?

Myself I prefer SIG and get it straight from the factory http://www.sigmfg.com
other option is Midwest but I've got some really flaky stuff from them, even had a stack of 1/16 sheeting show up with 2 bugs from like Asia eating away in the middle of the stack http://midwestproducts.com
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 am

I don't know if it is the best, but my source for contest balsa is http://www.easybuiltmodels.com. They have 1/32 sheet. The wood is graded so you can specific what weight you want. I would order a sample pack and other stuff you want. I get my peck propellers from them also. But I fly rubber, never mind on that. They are also the source for the building magnets. They are also where I get my domestic tissue, you might like that. I built my 1000 Hellcat in Navy Medium Blue. That tissue is from easybuilt. I was planning on using the Navy Dark Blue for the Corsair.

Mitch :D

PS: I have ordered 2 or 3 times and it was always packed well with no damage.
Mitch

Postby gordonfan24 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:38 am

I've made some decent progress, along with a couple lessons learned. Image
1. I will never build another kit without using steel plate & magnets. I had to move 2 ribs due to them being out of square. It was only a 1/32 but I'm being picky.
2. READ the instructions more carefully. I glued the LE6 and LE7 parts together incorrectly but luckily I caught the mistake before the Tite Bond dried. Phew! :shock:
3. Need better lighting.
4. Don't let the cats in my office any more.

Anybody see anything wrong or have any suggestions?
gordonfan24

Postby cliffm » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:20 am

I chose the corsair as my first build after many years away from the hobby, love those classic lines,and I'm a self-confident kinda guy, but don't expect to not crash that thing of beauty if you have'nt flown r.c. before. Bonehead me had to learn the hard way and I'm telling you it ain't gonna happen. Also I did'nt notice any place for mounting servos and batteries,and the necessary pieces for control surface activation.Before you go much further you might want to fit these pieces as it will save you from having to tear things apart later. Not trying to be a buzz-kill just maybe save some extra work.and most of all enjoy!
cliffm

Postby BillParker » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:18 am

I think the cat deal has been covered more than once around here... *LOL*

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Mitch » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:35 am

Fan24,

I like your work space, and yes I agree keep the cats away.

I do not build RC, and although these are multi purpose kits, as you know there are no specific instructions for installation of RC stuff.
I like that you are posting here but you may find an RC site to give you better advice.

I would not have put all the longrones in the fuselage until you got all the brackets for the battery, receiver, servos. You can still do it,but now you have to work between all those longrones.

How many channels are you planning? Are you planning on re-tracts?

I think you are progressing fine, but you need to think ahead where all that gear is going to go. That may require more planning than you have thought of so far. When I see people taking on a project like this my rubber power stuff looks so simple.

Keep us posted. Mitch
Mitch

Next

Return to General Building Questions