1004 ~ F4U-4 First RC Conversion Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: 1004 ~ F4U-4 First RC Conversion Build

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:45 pm

David Lewis wrote:You might be able to locate all the equipment in the nose, and then make the cowl removable (held on by dowels/screws/magnets/latches/snaps). That will minimize the need for nose weight. The engine cowl would be split into two halves so that you can remove it without taking off the prop. If there isn't enough room in the engine compartment, lighter items, such as servos, could be installed behind the firewall.

Very much worth doing. The issue of routing a few pushrods a hair further forward isn't difficult. I have numerous models with the tail servos against the fuse sides, battery, and receiver all in the first bay, eliminating ballast. Sheeted Guillows FW190s and Sterling P26s with conservatively sized lipos and without ballast are achievable. For the 16" FW190 I had to chamfer the servo horns to clear the cowl, but it's a very small model. For an F4U, a battery bay directly behind the firewall accessed from the fuse bottom should provide adequate ballast. Generally I cut the bottom center keel away, after adding side framers for the battery bay/door opening, which also sufficiently reinforces to the fuse. The doors also look better when you can't see them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby gordonfan24 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time for a response Bill. I very much enjoy learning from you all.
I've bought some Sullivan's Golden cable, a couple servos and my motor so far. I'm working on sheeting the bottom of the wing now, along with cutting the battery hatch on the fuse and figuring out a way to make the wing removable. Here are some pics.
P.S. Is the hobby station sufficiently messy enough now? I upgraded to a 4 foot T-5 light fixture and WHOA, what an improvement!!! I can see the grain in the woods now.

ImageImage
Is this brand of servo dependable and made with quality? Have any of you guys used this brand before?
ImageImage
I also got some assorted balsa and basswood, along with some 1/32" x 6"x 36" for sheeting.
It's hard to believe how much stuff is actually needed to do the job correctly. But it's so relaxing and enjoyable for me.
"If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."
gordonfan24

Postby David Lewis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:16 pm

I have to say, the quality of engineering of the Corsair #1004 may not be the greatest, but the plans are a masterpiece of technical illustration -- and a work of art. A lot of the enjoyment of Guillow's kits is the feelings I get just looking at the beautiful plans.
Last edited by David Lewis on Mon May 11, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Lewis

Postby gordonfan24 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:36 am

BAD NEWS FOR ME!

I went to grab a can of spray paint on the shelf above my workbench. I dropped it right on my fuse. Crushed. I'm pretty sure it couldn't have hit it any better to totally destroy it. I was disappointed to say the least.

However, doo doo occurs. Thankfully Guillow has replacement parts. I ordered the necessary sheets and I'm now in the process of building fuse #2.

It's actually a good thing because I will do this one different. I'm now also able to use my custom mag board. I have access to plate steel through a buddy at his shop and he was kind enough to laser cut me a piece of 3/16" 13"X 32". It is SO straight and flat, it's not even funny. I ordered 40 regular and 20 minus magnets from Easy Built Models. WOW! It's the little things that matter and I can tell that this is the way to go.
I sanded the steel with an 80 grit flap wheel and I then clear coated it to prevent rust.

I now have all the electronics and my new Spectrum DX-18 radio. I went big on the radio because I plan on building 300 and 600 series helis in the very near future as well.
With working so much, I'm not rushing and I will continue to take my time and learn.
gordonfan24

Postby David Lewis » Mon May 11, 2015 1:57 pm

When building a Guillow's style half shell fuselage, I omit the side keels and just use 1/16" square stringer instead. Also, I completely finish the fuse half, including all the stringers, while it's still on the board. After the glue is given plenty of time to dry, when I remove the fuselage half from the building board, I find that it is still perfecly flat. Then I build the other half in the air.
David Lewis

Postby davidchoate » Tue May 12, 2015 10:15 pm

I have'nt posted in a while. You remind Me of Me a few years ago.The best thing I ever did was to join AMA and an RC Club this year. After destroying alot of well built planes I had enough. If you cant join a club take Mitch's advice and get a foam high wing trainer with SAFE mode and AS3X. The bigger the plane the better. These little 30

28" WS planes are difficult to fly RC converted. And There are alot of forums with Guillows conversions. I have been building planes of 1 metre WS lately, and I wish I could show them, but they are'nt Guillows.
davidchoate

Postby gordonfan24 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Ok, a small update. After "Fuse Crush 2015" I decided it was a good thing. I got a chance to do things a tad differently. Here's a couple pics.
ImageImage
I went with insert planking up front and will continue it back along the wing saddle. It was surprisingly easy to fit the balsa planking. I might just do the whole plane like that. I also went with the sliding canopy and pilot. Also, I fit my first servo for the ailerons yesterday. I have Golden cable to actuate them. Slow but sure, I'm learning and getting there.
gordonfan24

Previous

Return to General Building Questions