old paper, no shrink?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: old paper, no shrink?

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Was that the Easy Built kit?
kittyfritters

Postby BillParker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30 pm

D-02 Lockheed Hudson Bomber
Wingspan: 30"
Class: Scale Display Model, 1:26 scale

http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap125.htm

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby joecrouse » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Yes the old paper probably got wet and "pre shrunk" from dampness in the air.

Either use new tissue or Use the cover when wet method. The paper will relax when whetted with HOT water, Then will shrink back up when dry.
joecrouse

Postby woundedbear » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi guys I was just doing a reply when...Well I must have touched a button here on my disobedient computer. What I was going to say was that SIG makes a low shrink butyrate dope for smaller models and, that all of SIG's colored dopes are of the low shrink variety. Their colors are very few, there are no longer the rainbow of colors that use to be. Now there might be a company that sells model airplane dope in a lot more colors. If anybody knows of any companies that do sell in more than the basics colors that SIG now carries please let me know. Oh yeah, BillParker sorry to see that Hudson bomber of your's messed up, looks like it would have been a winner !
One last thing, I wish we could change,"the name DOPE", that word has such a bad feel to it, I wish I had never smoked dope myself but you can't change the past, still if we could call it "Butyrate Lacquer", or something like that. It wouldn't sound so harsh and negative. Hay Dave where you goen ? Ah I'm just goen to buy me some dope for my model plane. You see how bad that sounds, we need to come up with a new name for the finishing materials we use in this hobby. Well that's my 2 cents.
woundedbear

Postby BillParker » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:04 pm

We had the word before they did.

I buy my dope from:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/randbutyclear.php?clickkey=13974

RANDOLPH 9701 CLEAR BUTYRATE TAUTENING DOPE

I buy it in the gallon size, but you can get it in a quart can.

But you can also buy it "NON Tautening..."
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Steve Blanchard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:48 am

Dope is just a word and this is the first time I have ever anyone show concern over it. Seems impossible to change it now even if anyone really wanted to. Besides there is a movement towards using other forms of finishing materials. I only use Nitrate dope when I am sealing carved balsa such as props and details carved from blocks. Tissue gets a fine mist of Krylon or Lacquer.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby davidchoate » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 am

I've been using a hybrid. cotton/nylon tissue that I apply damp. It says it does not shrink, but thae dampness relaxes the stuff, and its pretty tough so I apply it and pull it tight. til no wrinkles. It seems to work. I have not had any warps with it. It says to use Dope to adhere it. But as long as You make the glue stick full adhere before the centertightens or it pulls off.I will very fine mist the center. Keeping it just damp while the glue stick glue sets.Tough on compound s. Wingtips and stuff take several attempts usually.
davidchoate

Previous

Return to General Building Questions