another question

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

another question

Postby Johnny ace » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:07 am

I'm still having a problem with nose blocks.I understand their purpose, and I get the use of plywood and adjustment screws.what I don't get is using magnets to hold the cowl to the fuse.won't the screws pull the magnets apart? Please help.Thanks.
Johnny ace

Re: another question

Postby Wildpig » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:17 am

Kittyfritters has some nose block instructions, I'll see if I can find them.

The magnets are very strong, rare earth magnets. Mitch might could answer this better than me. He is on the west coast and is probably just getting up now.
Wildpig

Re: another question

Postby Mitch » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:01 pm

I have used rare earth magnets before but not in my new FW build. The model as you see in the picture is all glued together now. I will be backing out the 12 and 3 screws I expect between 1 and 2 turns to get the angle I need. The force of the rubber will hold the front end in tight and when the motor unwinds I believe the long screws will have enough 'friction' against the alignment holes that the face plate will stay in place.

Another important change I briefly mentioned in my build was the fact that I opened up from the inside the fuselage frames B1 to B5. I re enforced the bottom keel A2 as that was shaved down to about half thickness. I added 1/16 strips to both sides of that keel. The amount of rubber I plan to power this model will fill up the inside of the front half of the FW. The rear end of the FW is much to narrow for my rubber motor.
I used this plastic tube I have as a gauge to make sure I have clearance.

I used magnets to hold the front end of my Mustang and the model flew great in test flights, but when contest time came I wound the motor more than before and it was too much for the magnets to keep things together.
WW2 Mass Launch FAC contest in Denver, CO.

My plane is the 'red tail' I new there was a problem as soon as it left my hand... It was shacking like heck as the front end was moving around. It leveled out, nearly hit the CD (Contest Director) I had to shout "INCOMING!" he was looking up then leveled his eyes and saw the 'stang and did a side step. The model still flew for about 6 seconds but rolled over and hit the ground at full throttle. Then she was tumbling... I had the presence of mind to run to the model and pick it up before she beat herself to death. The tail was broken and the wing came of but for this build I made that removable. She had some cuts in her fuselage skin. So really very little damage. Just need to build a new tail.

It will get a new tail, new skin and a modified front end.

So at this point in my build methods I would only use rare earth magnets to hold the wing on, and in the case of my 'stang, that saved a lot of damage. The FW's wing is glued on. I really wanted to add all the details I have been leaving off in the past and still see if I can keep it light enough to fly. (Wing Fairings etc)

I am still learning and am here to share everything I know... I make the mistakes so you don't have to! :D

Mitch, Keep Building, Keep Flying, Keep Improving
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions