rubber?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

rubber?

Postby Johnny ace » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:56 am

What is everyones opinions on rubber for the 500 and 400 series kits? Thanks.
Johnny ace

Re: rubber?

Postby Mitch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Ace,

I will only speak about the 400 series rubber (Also in the 1000 kits but longer)

I believe this grey rubber is not so bad. I have flown every 400 series model with it with different degrees of success. I think due to the weight of my models. I now mostly use the sport tan rubber but there was another learning curve for me with that. Getting back to the Guillow's Grey. It has more torque than the tan and that, together with a relatively small 7 inch (I fly 400 series with 9 inch in competition) propeller and the relatively heavy (If built to plans without modification) models I believe it is the proper set up for flying in a relatively small field (a schoolyard or park)

I would lubricate and stretch wind the motor for best results. The rubber, if wound to near breaking point will be good only for six or maybe a dozen flights. I my latest build "Red 13" I plan to fly this plane for the G Challenge with only Guillow Grey. My hook to peg length has be shortened and I will braid the motor, that will also shorten the rubber. I plan to have test flights as soon as the weather is fine.

So if you are only going to fly for sport in a local area and are happy with short flights, the Guillow Grey rubber works for that.

That is my opinion, Mitch... I am glad you are getting ready to fly!
Mitch

Postby Wildpig » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:01 pm

For the 500 series, the Guillow's grey rubber will do just fine. The blue or green rubber in the kits you can just throw in the trash.

You didn't ask but, I"ll give my opinion about which 500 series kits to build and fly. And which ones not to try for flying.

Decent fliers: Guillow Hellcat, Avenger, Focke-Wulf 190, P-40, Bf-109, Hurricane.
Not so good a prospect to make a flier: Spitfire, Stuka, Rufe.
Wildpig

Postby Johnny ace » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks guys for the input.I'm learning all I can before I put the knife to wood.
Johnny ace

Return to General Building Questions