almost a newb

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

almost a newb

Postby Johnny ace » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:23 am

I have built models my whole life, including guillow kits in the past.I built for display only.Now that i'm nearing retirement, I want to build to fly, which is completely different.Wish me luck.
Johnny ace

Re: almost a newb

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Good Luck and welcome to the toughest hobby you'll ever love. I think you will have good luck if you start with a 900 series kit. They are specifically designed as rubber flying jobs.
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Welcome Ace,

You don't need luck, you need patience and build carefully, and enjoy your builds. We are all here to help you succeed. I believe if you follow the instructions and build carefully, you will find that these models will fly and you will enjoy seeing you creation flying. Even for just for a short flight, I enjoy seeing them in the air every time. When you are ready you can start following some suggestions we will offer.

Have Fun, Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:28 am

For 4 yrs now I have been building, and almost flying these things. Patience is a must. I am just now being able to get them to fly. Not long, but I am getting there. I recently joined the AMA so I can get with a club. I found one in Valley Forge (I'm from Philly) its the only one around that has a few Guys who are into free flight. They are elderly fellows, and only have free flight on 1 Sunday a month. I have destroyed a lot of planes learning on My own. I wish I had found out about this club sooner. It was by chance that I happened to run into one of the free flight Guys in the hobby store, and he noticed Me asking for a prop winder, and invited Me to the club when the weather gets better.
davidchoate

Postby 42swing » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:42 am

I'm from the Philly area as well, Malvern actually, very close to the flying field at Valley Forge. When the weather's nice we frequently take a drive to watch the flying. Wasn't aware they did a free flight day each month.
42swing

Postby davidchoate » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Malvern is not far from Me at all. My sister lves there. I was told by the fellow who is helping Me join that there are only a couple guys who do the Free Flight. And gliders too. Its mostly RC anywhere you go, but I intend to learn as much from those older fellows as I can. I loke RC, gliders, and all of it, but recently, I have been getting close to being able to get FF planes to fly O.K., and its harder than I thought. Also its becoming a lost art, and I want to learn as much from the old Guys as I can. While I still can.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions