General Questions.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

General Questions.

Postby gbthestyx » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:10 am

As a relative Newbie to modeling, I say that as like a lot of people these days the last time I built balsa aircraft was in the 1950s and 60s. I would like to ask some general questions of members. I was thinking of building the Cessna 170, is this a good aircraft to start with, is there anything I should be aware of before, or anything I should alter during the build to improve it. I need to purchase some general tools before I start such as a base board, is 900 x 600 x 20 mm Cork board a good size to buy? An X-acto knife set? and what glues to use? Other things I can purchase as I go along, but if there is anything else please recommend.
gbthestyx

Re: General Questions.

Postby Brenda » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:01 am

After Mitch showed me a photo of how he builds I followed suit. Slab of steel plate or sheet metal and a bunch of magnets. No pins jammed into the wood for better structure. If you are like me and have problems with CA glue SIG-Ment is still on the market but Ambroid is gone. You can still get dope from SIG and MidWest or you can try some of the new stuff. I picked up a gizmo from Shortys basement called "Notcher" and it's made things very easy. Makes notches for stringers and such using sandpaper.
Brenda

Postby Wildpig » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:50 am

Another modeler returning to the hobby. Glad to hear that.

A few things have changed, most have not. You are really going to like Laser Cut kits if you get one.

The Cessna 170 is a good kit. Since you already have some experience you should have no trouble building it.
If you are going to fly it, I suggest an adjustable nose block (check out Mitch's 400 series build threads) and make it easily removable. This is not necessary unless you want to pack in a large rubber motor.
900 by 600 mm should be o.k for a building board. Magnetic building boards make things much easier.
I prefer Ambroid glue. (I managed to get two new tubes, recently.) Elmer's White glue works just fine.
No.11 Xacto knife, is about all I ever use.
Plenty of sandpaper but, you probably already knew that.
Wildpig

Postby gbthestyx » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:05 am

Thank's for the reply's. I have had chance to look at the forum in more detail and in particular Mitch's post, and found some very useful information regarding tools etc. I think the magnets are a great idea as is a sheet of steel laid over a wooden board which should be relatively cheap. As I live in the UK some of the names of glues etc will be different. But any help is much appreciated.
gbthestyx

Postby Wildpig » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:51 am

oh, the UK :!:
Take a gander at Mike Stuart's site if you haven't seen it already.
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/
Wildpig

Postby gbthestyx » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Just had a look at Mike stuart's site, loads of info there. Thank's
gbthestyx

Postby Mitch » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Welcome and I found this in one of my old posts:

1. Building Board: This can be a Balsa board, Ceiling Tile, I also have a Metal Sheet (for magnets)
2. Wax Paper: To cover the plans when building, some people use plastic wrap
3. Pins for building: I mostly use 1 inch T pins, I also recently found pin clamps
4. Cutting tools: X-acto knife with #11 blade, also straight razors and scissors
5. Adhesives: White Glue, 2 part epoxy, some people use CA type glues
6. Clamps: Different clamps for different uses. X-acto bar claps, small spring clamps, office clips
7. Sand Paper: different grades and sanding blocks
8. Square: Small x-acto square or similar
9. Files: A set of jewlers files will come in handy
10. Finishing: Dope, I now use a spray of Top Flight LusterKote (crystal clear), and paints

Not all are required, but having the right tool for the job will make your build easier and more enjoyable.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby gbthestyx » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Thank's Mitch,for the info.
gbthestyx

Postby limey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:00 am

Welcome to this brilliant forum like you I have taken up the hobby again after many years and as I live in the uk I will search out some contacts for building supplies and post them on the site.cheers. Limey
limey

Postby gbthestyx » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:16 am

Thank's Limey, There seems to be fewer and fewer model shops about and the few that there are don't seem to sell Balsa kits, it's mainly RC. So it's hard to get advice from shop staff as most have never built a balsa model. Of coarse there is the internet but I like to see before I buy. In my day you pinned everything to a board now you can use magnets and clamps etc, this looks a great way of getting everything nice and square. If you can recommend any magnets/clamps I could purchase please let me know. One thing that comes across more and more in lot's of items that we purchase, what you can get in the USA you can't always get it here without importing it, which can cost a lot extra in import duties. What planes have you built and anything you can recommend, I'm only interested in rubber powered models at the moment maybe RC in the future. Sorry to ramble on, and again thank's for any help. Graham.
gbthestyx

Postby gbthestyx » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:37 am

Hi Limey. Just been looking at your post's and notice you live in the Fylde. I live in Lytham St Annes, we must be neighbours.
gbthestyx

Postby limey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 am

That's unbelievable here is a list of useful sites please visit them you will find them useful. The Balsa Cabin. Look at their protect a plan excellent for any adhesive and at two pounds for a 10 foot by 41 inch amount it's a bargain also look at their sanding blocks all these listed under other accessories. Next. Slec .co.uk. Next. Mikes models@www.mikes models .co.uk. A good source of guillows models in the uk. Next SAMs models.com. Next ALS hobbies.com. Next star loc adhesives@glue shop.com excellent glues and adhesives but can be slow on delivery but you don't pay until you receive the goods. Hope these help if I remember anymore I will post them all those are worth a look ps don't let the wife see the cost!!!! Cheers limey
limey

Postby limey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 am

Hi Limey again I haven't used the magnets as yet but use a balsa board for building I have only built guillows 400 kits to date the war hawk and fw190 just finishing the me109 I'll post the pictures when finished if you look on the net you can find the old keilkraft kits now with laser cut parts they look interesting but not as good as the guillows kits.im limited for space but now the kids have left home I use one of the spare bedrooms I also use the new water based dopes from starlock I find it very good and it is female friendly if you have seen my builds on the forum they were all done with the water based dope hope this all helps Cheers limey
limey

Postby David Lewis » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:52 am

The Cessna 170 kit #302, I omit half the wing ribs and the 1/8" x 1/4" spar. I re-cut all the parts out of 6 lb/cu ft balsa, and modify the landing gear strut attachment for more resilience. I also use lightweight (2.6 g/m^2) mylar covering. The tissue supplied with the kit I'm guessing is at least 12 g/m^2. Mix and match lightening techniques depending on your level of fanaticism. Excellent for balsa is Elmer's Carpenter's WoodGlue (NEW STRONGER FORMULA).

With experience you will learn how to eliminate parts and remove balsa without reducing strength, and reinforce weak areas with little or no weight gain.
Last edited by David Lewis on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David Lewis

Postby gbthestyx » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Thank's Dave, I will bear in mind the mods you have made when building, but probably won't go as far as to completely re-cut a lot of parts as this is my first build in a long long time. But thank's for your help.
gbthestyx

Next

Return to General Building Questions