T-28 Trojan

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

T-28 Trojan

Postby davidchoate » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 am

Gonna do a little project. For display only. I can tell it wont fly good, and its been a year since I did one just for show.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Re: T-28 Trojan

Postby Steve Blanchard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:01 pm

What makes you say it won't fly well? It doesn't have bad moments on it.What are your thoughts?

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Brenda » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:38 pm

I built one last year. Seems to fly ok even with extra weight
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:04 pm

I do not know why you say it will not fly well. I thought these 900 series were designed to be good flyers. I bet if you still add all the details you want, if you get it balanced it will fly satisfactory. If you do make it for flight I would make the Landing Gear removable.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:50 pm

it just looks like a P-51 wing and tail on a large fuselage with a radial engine hich makes the nose short, and I notice on the plan the unusual wing attack angle. Forgive Me I forget what the proper term is. But if you Guys say it flies good, well, I'll give it a shot.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:21 pm

You know me... I want them ALL to fly. With that radial engine, you can make a nice removable nose block to get access and really stretch out the rubber. Heck my FW 190 has a short nose and I am going to fly that one in the 2015 G challenge!

I would leave the gear off, or make it removable.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby andywhitam » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 am

I built a Trojan last summer and my word of advice is to make sure you have down thrust and some right . Mine flew great after I got it from climbing out and then banking over from the torque. I used better rubber and a slightly larger prop. Other than that I did not change a thing. I have also built the Mustang and it is a great flyer. The kit had very good wood came out much lighter than the trojan.
andywhitam

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Than for the advice. I will build it to fly. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:49 pm

I am glad you are going to fly. My FW also has a short nose. We will both need to add weight to get the model balanced. No one likes adding weight, but the model MUST be balanced and if you build the model straight and light, she will handle the extra weight needed.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:09 pm

O.K. I decided to build it fpo Flying. I got started today. The kit wood is good, and I sanded it extra thin for weight. I was expecting alot of splitting while making the notches for the stringers, but it was fine. I want to go with the orange and white color scheme.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Be careful making thins too thin, they will warp like a potato chip latter. Easybuilt has a nice orange paper. Do you have a reference picture of the plane in orange/white?

I am sorry but what does fpo mean? Or was that a typo?

imo (in my opinion), I like that you are going to fly.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:38 am

Typo. Meant Free Flight. I have alot of sources to get the colors and markings right. There are basically 2. USAF, and NAVY.I sanded thin enough til yhe parts came out easy. No notches were die cut. Thank God. That tends to make things split. I made notchers, and the plan has very nice pictures of stringer loval.Joined AMA and a club. There are only a couple FF guys , but I hope to learn alot.
davidchoate

Postby David Lewis » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 pm

"I notice on the plan the unusual wing attack angle. Forgive Me I forget what the proper term is."

For model purposes, wing incidence is the angle between the fuselage axis of minimum drag and the bottom chord of a flat bottom wing (rigger's line). Note: Engineers measure to zero lift lines of airfoils instead to simplify their calculations.

Angle between wing and stab incidence is called "decalage" or "longitudinal dihedral."
Last edited by David Lewis on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
David Lewis

Postby Steve Blanchard » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 am

The incidence looks OK to me. The stabilizer seems to have some positive which will lessen the amount in the wing. What you would want for a low wing rubber powered model would be about 4 degrees positive incidence in the wing compared to the stabilizer. This is easily measured by drawing a straight line along the stabilizer across the plan past the wing. You would then carry this line down to the trailing edge of the wing and using a protractor measure the angle between the stabilizer line and the wing. Be sure when you mount the stabilizer you leave a little room to be able to shim the stab up or down as needed for proper glide AFTER balancing at the correct Center of Gravity.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby davidchoate » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am

Ready to cover. made a few strength modifications.And infilled the front mainly for balance.
davidchoate

Next

Return to General Building Questions