Making wooden props

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Making wooden props

Postby Brenda » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Rather than hijacking the P-38 thread I thought I would post it here. This is a basic how-to on making wood props.

First photo is orig 1946 kit parts and new laser cut parts

Here we have a close up of the paper parts that are also laser cut

This is the parts laid out getting ready

Find center of hub by making a mark from corner to corner then X marks the spot of center. Fold your paper so it will sort of be in the right shape

Place some glue down to hold paper in place and let it sit for a few moments

Put your pin in your center hole and press wooden blades into the slots. When they meet at pin and your paper is still straight your ready!

With everything flat on the table and straight on the pin, paper and prop notches dribble some glue.

When it is not all the way dry add your top cover with center hole just like you did for the bottom. Now your paper can't move and you have a old time prop. Back when we would soak each blade in dope till it was dripping off. Just dunk entire blade, hub and all into gal of dope and let it sit there for some time. Another method (modern and nifty) is what I also use, go buy a can of rubber tool grip stuff. The spray can not the dip version. Tie a thread in your prop so you can hang it away from silly things like cars, pets, and spouse...you know the things that if you get paint on bad things happen. Now that you have your prop away from critters and such give it a quick blast from spray can. Prop will move about like a wind chime in a hurricane. Wrestle it back to center and keep giving it shots till it looks like it's covered. If you don't feel like fighting the prop you can always run a bit of wire like a lolly pop.
Brenda

Re: Making wooden props

Postby Wildpig » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Very nice. I have not seen that method before. Thank you for posting it.
Wildpig

Postby John G Jedinak » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:36 pm

Ahhh forgive me for asking,.....but what kit was this from????? Thanx,JGJ
John G Jedinak

Postby Brenda » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:57 pm

John G Jedinak wrote:Ahhh forgive me for asking,.....but what kit was this from????? Thanx,JGJ

Comet A-26 Invader. Laser cut replacement parts are from DPC
Brenda

Postby John G Jedinak » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:06 pm

O.K. Thank You
John G Jedinak

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 pm

The old Comet method does work, I know, I did enough of them in the early 50s, but they are not very efficient. Try carving some decent blades and putting them together this way. You'll get much better performing props. (Actually, you can cheat and use blades from plastic props if you are good with a Dremel tool.)
kittyfritters

Postby andywhitam » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:39 am

Go to www.parmodels.com and click on the techniques & references tab. Instruction on how to make 3 blade plastic props.
andywhitam

Return to General Building Questions