Super Cub kit 303lc

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Super Cub kit 303lc

Postby Coloradoken » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Just finished this fun kit. Added a pilot "Buzz" for more detail. Really enjoy building the "classic" planes but wonder why there are so few modern planes to build. Going to do the F-15 next but even that plane is 40 years old. Maybe building an Airbus 380 or a Boeing 777 wouldn't be as good an experience as the Spirit Of St. Louis or the Wright flyer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coloradoken

Re: Super Cub kit 303lc

Postby Wildpig » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 am

That is cool. Really nice paint scheme. 8)

My guess as to why there are not many kits of modern planes is cost. Tooling for a newer design is more expensive now and it's a diminishing hobby. Supply and demand.
The other is license royalties. I think that's what it's called. In other words. Guillow's can't just say, 'we like the new Cirrus SR2o, we'll build some kits'. They have to have a license agreement with Cirrus to make a kit based on a Cirrus product. Most companies, not always, want some kind of money for this license agreement. XX number of dollars per kit or whatever.
Military models are different, they fall under a different category: public domain. That's one reason why you see so many military model kits, plus they are just too cool. :)

Sorry for the long explanation. I think the Wright Flyer would be a fun model to build.
Wildpig

Re: Super Cub kit 303lc

Postby Coloradoken » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks. The Flyer was a great but delicate to build. Added the pilot. Never occurred to me to think about the licensing or royalty problems. Can't even sing "Happy Birthday" these days without paying since Warner bought the rights! Of course if you don't invite the music police to your party you will probably be OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coloradoken

Return to General Building Questions