My P-38 for 2015, my "Wicked Woman"

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

My P-38 for 2015, my "Wicked Woman"

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

I do not know if anyone ever built this model for rubber power, but I plan to attempt this...

First impression: WOW, this is a VERY nice kit... too bad I will not be using half the stuff.

Changes planned:
1. Use even numbered wing ribs
2. Move rear peg location forward
3. Try my best to keep the weight down

This is going to be one impressive model... Hope I can make it fly.

I will bring the model along on my next voyage... Will update with pictures next week...

Mitch

Hey... Do I get extra points for twin engine model for the challenge?
Mitch

Re: My P-38 for 2015, my "Wicked Woman"

Postby Brenda » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Right on. I'll challenge you with my Comet A26 to twin power flight! May the best woman win :)
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Getin ready to ship out again... my LHS does not have my order yet, so I will be starting the WW... I have a reference book with nose art that is PG-13, I will post pictures next week as my camera is on the ship. I plan to learn to fly this twin engine plane and then finish my Me-109Z for WESTFAC V! I am quite sure the Me109Z will be lighter and I can have more rubber... more on that latter...the fuselages to that are collecting dust in my shop.

PS: I had to goggle what an A26 is... okay your on... hope to have my basic structure built in the next 3 weeks (length of time left on my job), I plan to enter mine in this years challenge. Can not work more on the Focke-Wulf as I am missing parts (used them to re-build new wing for my last FW) and that is what I was waiting for at the LHS.

Mitch :D

PS: Weight of die-cut wood sheets alone are at 290 grams! I hope to come out close to 150 grams for a finished model...who know's...
Mitch

Postby Wildpig » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Brenda wrote:Right on. I'll challenge you with my Comet A26 to twin power flight!......

Mitch wrote:I had to goggle what an A26 is... okay your on...

Wildpig

Postby Steve Blanchard » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Hey Mitch.
You may want to try a different plan for your first twin. Losing weight for better flying is one thing but there are inherent issues with the Guillows birds such as airfoils. Flying a twin can be frustrating enough but not starting with a proven platform is going to be risky. If you have the latest FAC news check out the musings between Vance Gilbert and Don Srull. Don lays out the airfoil issue right in that column. I know you like the Guillow kits and they do have an appeal but as you get more and more into FAC competition you are going to want to stack the deck in your favor.

You have been really working hard at the rubber powered flight end of it all and have done some great things with these kits. It's just my opinion but I feel there are some places you just can't go with Guillow kits. So, change your plan or prove me wrong, either way I'm sure you will build a beautiful model!

Good Luck!

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby slopemeno » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:46 pm

With all due respect to our hosts- it looks like it *can* work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roh3oJbjEhw
slopemeno

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:30 am

Brenda wrote:Right on. I'll challenge you with my Comet A26 to twin power flight! May the best woman win :)

What a coincidence. My friend who's a long time scale builder just posted this on another forum today, talking about vintage kits built ages ago: I built the Comet A-26, about ten seconds of power...this was when I was about 14...
Built three Black Widows at least...one of my favorite aircraft...

Steve Blanchard wrote:Hey Mitch.
You may want to try a different plan for your first twin. Losing weight for better flying is one thing but there are inherent issues with the Guillows birds such as airfoils. Flying a twin can be frustrating enough but not starting with a proven platform is going to be risky. If you have the latest FAC news check out the musings between Vance Gilbert and Don Srull. Don lays out the airfoil issue right in that column. I know you like the Guillow kits and they do have an appeal but as you get more and more into FAC competition you are going to want to stack the deck in your favor.

You have been really working hard at the rubber powered flight end of it all and have done some great things with these kits. It's just my opinion but I feel there are some places you just can't go with Guillow kits. So, change your plan or prove me wrong, either way I'm sure you will build a beautiful model!

Good Luck!

Steve
The airfoil might be something I would consider changing to a thinner section. Getting good feedback for Guillow's models is difficult, since much of it comes from people who haven't actually built and flown them, or at least with a concerted effort in reducing weight. In the r/c arena it's even worse. There you get skeptical feedback from those who either haven't built them, or those who have, but simply don't know what they're doing.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Steve Blanchard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 am

Slopemeno,

I know it can work. It has worked several times in the past. My comments were not about the aircraft itself but the fact that it is a Guillow kit. The video you show is of a Dumas kit.
Steve Blanchard

Postby Brenda » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:55 am

Just a FYI the very first plane I ever built was a Comet A26 Invader. Back in the late 1970's my LHS helped me with special tissue and a blueish color rubber. A A&P buddie helped with dope. I had a 45sec flight at the school ROG style. Made self deploying flaps out of stiff paper to keep speed down when power went off. First few flights looked like a yard dart when motors stopped. I had DPC cut me two kits off orig 1946 plan rather than the modified newest one. Used Ambroid on my first one now useing SIG-ment.
Brenda

Postby Wildpig » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:56 am

I think it will be an interesting challenge. In my observation (never built either the Guillow P-38 or the Comet A26) Appears that the A26 is going to be lighter weight but power limited with the short nacelles.
The Guillow P-38 should have more power with the long tail booms but, will likely be a much heavier model.

Both of the contestants are talented model builders. 8)

Steve,
I don't have access to FAC news, can you give a short dissertation on the airfoil problem on the P-38.
I am building the Comet P-38, I wonder if there is a similar concern with that model.
Wildpig

Postby BillParker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:45 pm

I just happen to be in the planning stage of the Herr Engineering P-38...

It starts out a whole bunch lighter than the guillow's version... Guillow's P-38 makes a dandy u-control twin...

I read somewhere , sometime, that counter rotating props was wise in rubber power? Torque roll? Should I start hunting around for a backwards prop?

I'm used to bolting a motor on these things, but I think a rubber P-38 would get the neighborhood kids' attention...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Wildpig » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Bill,
I'm building my first rubber powered twin, a P-38, so I can't say for sure about the counter-rotating props. However, I have been looking for counter-rotating 3 blade propellers because I think they will help with the torque situation. Shorty's Basement used to sell them, but they have not been produced for a few years now.

I have seen multi engine rubber aircraft flown with same direction rotation props. One guy, wound more turns on one motor than the other to help against the torque roll.

Brenda, has flown a rubber powered twin, maybe she knows. By the way, Brenda, thats pretty cool your first rubber powered model was the A-26. 45 seconds ROG is quite an amazing feat, too. I have been struggling off and on with my Comet P-38 build for quite a few years.
Wildpig

Postby Brenda » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:27 am

Wildpig,

The trick is how the rubber is braided. Guys at hobby shop did it for me for one side and I did the other. The rubber was sort of light blue color and very thin. Braided it like a rope outside the plane then shoved it in. Only have about 4in to work with on the Invader. Someone built the Comet P-38 back then and it was a fine flyer but the owner of it would sort of cheat. He would launch it off the side of the spillway at Lake Arlington. With light wind it would come down in the middle of the spillway near the C/L guys who would then yell at us. Same place where I lost my Super Sinbad from faulty DT (Robert never turned it on was what really happened). For doing ROG with Comet planes with wooden gear you needed to change it a bit. The hardwood that was used in the kits was so hard Ambroid would not stick to it thus allowing shaft to spin around in harden glue. I think I figured out boring a hole down side of a bit of thick balsa then placing a welding wire in it worked ok but putting a J bend on end worked even better. My dad was a welder for the US Navy so I would swipe...eh hum barrow...many wires and other goodies the Navy left out in the open... you know like behind locked doors inside a cage sort of left out. Cage had all sorts of goodies a young girl could use, wire, epoxy, MEK, really cool sunglasses, you know normal stuff...

All of a sudden I feel like someone in cracker jack uniform is going to knock on my door....
Brenda

Postby Wildpig » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Brenda wrote:
.......... Cage had all sorts of goodies a young girl could use, wire, epoxy, MEK, really cool sunglasses, you know normal stuff...

:lol: 8)
Thanks
Wildpig

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:53 am

I am glad to see I am getting interest. I am a week into the build now. Only planning this for the Guillow challenge. I plan on finishing my Me-109Z for FAC. I figure this will give me some practice. We are in cellphone range of Anchorage. I will post pictures when we get in port and I have internet.
Mitch

Next

Return to General Building Questions